Who we are
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
Our ValuesTSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You AreTSC is seeking a first rate production control manager experienced in managing and planning materials demand forecasting, production control, and production scheduling. As the Production Control Manager, you would be responsible for translating the detailed master level production schedule into a detailed materials supply plan and detailed production control plan. You would work closely with the Program Master Planner to coordinate the production jobs released as well as work with the Procurement, Engineering, Materials and Logistics team to provide forecast demand for all production materials and to ensure all production materials are identified as early as possible and incorporated into the material supply plan. The Production Control Manager will oversee a production control team to support the production planning activities.
- Coordinate with Engineering, Program Master Planner, Manufacturing and Production team to establish drawing release priority and production job completion dates; validate these dates against Program Master Plan and then use to forecast materials requirements for Supply Chain team.
- Coordinate with Engineering and Configuration Management to evaluate and further develop the Bill of Material (BOM) from vehicle prototype development history; evaluate BOM gaps, compare gaps to Program Master Plan and expedite analysis of BOM and Engineering drawing releases as required to ensure material requirements are well understood and communicated with a focus on long lead time, obsolete or build to print/specification materials (both make and buy parts).
- Work with supply chain to proactively identify and react to material plans that do not support the Program Master Schedule, Production Schedule or Material Forecast.
- Work with Engineering/Configuration Management personnel to evaluate CCB/CRB and drawing releases against existing material plans; communicate changes proactively to Procurement/Supply Chain or Engineering/Production personnel as required.
- Work closely with Production and Configuration Management personnel to set up and maximize use of MRP system to create job sequences, to schedule jobs, to monitor and report on time performance and to drive automation of material forecast.
- Evaluate material re-order point settings and min max inventory levels against historical use and future plan to ensure required inventory replenishment levels are being calculated correctly. Work with Supply Chain teams to adjust as required. Proactively communicate unavoidable materials related delays to Production team and Program Master Scheduler for analysis against current plans; coordinate schedule adjustments and re-prioritization.
What you bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Logistics, Materials, Supply Chain Management or relevant experience.
- Minimum 8 years relevant experience in developing detailed material demand forecasts working from high level project schedules
- Experience working in a cross functional team; effectively building rapport at all levels within an organization
- Monitor and review the performance of staff and organize necessary interventions for success, while always modelling a high level of personal integrity
- Inspire, motivate and mobilize your team to accomplish more than they think they can.
- Expert using an ERP/MRP system for materials and inventory management (Oracle preferred)
- Expert level skills using Excel (programming macros a plus)
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing philosophies and tools
- Encourage and provide development and training opportunities for staff through excellent coaching and leadership skills.
- Preferred experience in a composite aircraft manufacturing environment
- Detail oriented, independent thinking, self-starter who is highly motivated
ITAR RequirementsTo conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.