Hachette Book Group is seeking a Production Editor to manage the production of 25 to 30 original fiction and nonfiction titles per year from manuscript to bound book/ebook at Little, Brown .
- Manages 12-15 titles from manuscript to bound book/e-book, including general fiction, nonfiction, and cookbooks, and other heavily illustrated titles; handles paperback conversions
- Hires and supervises freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers
- Reviews copyediting, working in Word to reconcile copyediting and author markup, and reviews all stages of manuscripts, text proofs, and electronic blues
- Copyedits and proofreads galley/ARC, jacket, and cover materials from original copy through final proof
- Performs e-book quality review
- Works closely with authors and various in-house departments including editorial, production, and art in anticipating and resolving problems
- Attends relevant department and interdepartmental meetings
- Special projects as needed
- 3-5 years relevant work experience, preferably in trade publishing
- Solid copyediting and proofreading skills
- Strong computer/MS Word skills and knowledge of electronic copyediting and coding
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style (16th and 17th eds.)
- Excellent organizational skills, with an aptitude for process development and innovation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Candidate must be detail- and accuracy-oriented and have the ability to balance many projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while maintaining high standards of quality
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.