NATURE OF WORK: This is highly responsible and professional work, coordinating and directing the safe, efficient, and economical operation of a manufacturing facility. Incumbents in this classification maximize operating efficiencies with minimum interruption, by coordinating material movement and equipment operation to meet customer's specifications and monitoring and evaluating programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED (The following duties are typical for this classification. However, any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all of the duties which may be performed.)
- Oversees internal audit of assigned operations; analyzes procedures and determines that the plant operates in compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Directs, motivates and manages plant operations personnel to create a high performance team environment.
- Determines appropriate staffing levels to assure productivity and cost goals are met.
- Identifies, directs, and manages continuous cost improvement initiatives.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures.
- Provides advice and consultation to leadership in the development, implementation, and evaluation of modifications and enhancements to existing operations, systems, and procedures.
- Recommends and participates in the development of the plant’s policies and procedures.
- Analyzes operational and administrative systems throughout the organization and develops integrated reports used to evaluate operational/administrative effectiveness and efficiency.
- Researches and analyzes best methods and practices relative to achievement of specified unit goals and operating objectives; designs and develops alternative systems and procedures, as appropriate to the objectives of the unit.
- Develops and drafts proposals and/or collaborative agreements for new and/or revised strategic policies, programs, and/or operating procedures.
- Consults, interacts, or collaborates with senior management, other internal/external staff, and/or consultants to facilitate the successful and procedures, and to ensure the implementation and administration of program objectives.
- Supervises various functions such as production, quality, and materials.
- Manages all functions from production scheduling to shipment.
- Establishes plant and departmental goals.
- Ensures compliance with all Safety, Quality, Company and Regulatory directives.
- Directs activities in areas of safety and personnel, production, scheduling, material handling, purchasing, maintenance, engineering, etc.
- Reviews performance of subordinates, monitors performance review process of remainder of plant employees.
- Conducts meetings to determine and plan optimal economy and quality of plant products.
- Develops manufacturing processes and equipment for new products and ensures production schedules are met.
- Approves all requisitions and invoices for operating materials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the customer requirements, release systems, and production control system.
- Experience working in Just In Time (JIT) environment.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of process efficiency as needed to make observations and take measurements directly, as well as collecting and interpreting data from the other technical and operating staff involved.
- Knowledge of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) as needed to ensure that all aspects of an operation or process meet specified regulations;
- Knowledge of engineering practices as it relates to seats.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, and the coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of the various functions of an automotive plant such as maintenance, quality, production control, safety, quality, operations, and materials as needed to determine how these areas are interrelated.
- Knowledge of strategies such as product lifecycle management (PLM), just-in-time, and self directed teams as needed to effectively implement these strategies.
- Knowledge of material handling functions as it relates to
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing effective customer service.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Knowledge of labor, safety, and product related state and federal regulations and practices.
- Knowledge of the company’s policies, procedures and practices or the ability to acquire quickly.
- Ability to establish and meet goals.
- Ability to lead and function on a team, and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of employees.
BS degree in Business Administration
5 years Operations Management Experience