University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
Division or Section of Hematology Oncology Bone Marrow Transplantation
Professional Research Assistant
Position #00600415– Requisition #18882
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Hematology Oncology Bone Marrow Transplantation has an opening for a full-time (unclassified) Professional Research Assistant position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:
This position is oriented towards an inquisitive and enthusiastic individual to join a research lab focused on the hemostasis, thrombosis, and vascular biology. S/he will be responsible for performing a broad array of laboratory assays and techniques in the areas of hemostasis, thrombosis, and vascular biology. The position is currently 100% time.
The position offers a unique opportunity to work with leading investigators in the field of hemostasis and thrombosis research, in a multidisciplinary research environment that features a robust research infrastructure in basic, translational, and clinical research, including laboratory professionals and trainees working in coagulation, database management and bio-statistical support, clinical research associates and coordinators, clinical and research nurses, and support personnel.
Key responsibilities for this position will be to perform essential laboratory support tasks as well as assisting with and/or independently conducting experiments under the supervision of the PI and other laboratory members.
Performance and development of coagulation laboratory assays and procedures. This may include:
· Techniques in experimental hematology and molecular biology:
o maintenance and experimentation in cell culture systems
o quantitative PCR; molecular cloning; high throughput DNA sequencing; gene expression studies, including RNAseq; and RNAi technology.
· Manage daily laboratory operations (Estimated effort: 15%). Overall: ordering, inventory, cleaning, and preparation of laboratory reagents and potential husbandry/maintenance of mouse colonies. Maintain laboratory records and compliance
· Northern, Southern, and Western blot
· DNA/RNA extractions
· SDS PAGE
· iPS Cell generation
· Maintaining a detailed, accurate, and current laboratory notebook, including documentation of all laboratory procedures, procedural deviations, data, unanticipated problems, and troubleshooting steps.
· Data organization and analysis for meetings and presentations
· Preparation of results and methodology for abstracts and presentations
· Quality assurance. This includes the following responsibilities, with appropriate administrative support:
· Maintaining and recording instrument calibration
· Maintaining and recording reagents and their quality
· Processing, storage, and tracking of blood and DNA specimens (in collaboration with other research team personnel)
· Maintaining up-to-date databases of laboratory research results
· Periodic verification of assay coefficients of variations for standards and controls
· Development and revision of laboratory standard operating procedures
· Personal communication and collaboration with other team members to maximize laboratory performance and meet research goals
PLEASENOTE: Candidates may be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located atEmployee Services.
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/human-resources/employee-relations-performance/ada-compliance
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
· · BS or related degree in a science-related field
*Note: relevant experience can be substituted for educational requirements
· · Greater than 10 months of experience with mammalian cell culture
· · Greater than 12 months of experience in a science related basic research lab within the last 3 years
Conditions of Employment:
· Must be willing and able to successfully pass a 10-panel drug test
· Must be willing and able to successfully pass a national criminal background check
· This PRA position requires 100% effort Monday through Friday.
· Experience with endothelial or another vascular biology-related cell culture
· Recent experience with cellular/molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid extraction, western blotting, ChIP protocols, qPCR, CRISPR, IPS cell generation
· Recent experience with multi-omic (genomic, transcriptomic, methylomic, proteomic, etc.) analyses using R, python, and other relevant bioinformatic analyses
· Experience and/or willingness to work with animal models
· Managerialexperience;Prior experience mentoring students/staffs
· Masters Level or above degree
· Broad-based knowledge and experience with multiple basic laboratory techniques and technologies, from biochemistry to immunology to cell and molecular biology.
· Specific experience in coagulation laboratory techniques including clot-based, chromogenic, and immunologic assays is desired, but may be readily acquired.
· Recent experience in numerous applied molecular and cell biologic techniques including protein purifications, tissue culture, DNA isolation, PCR, flow cytometry, proteomics, and genomics is also desirable.
· Exceptional organizational skills and be highly detail-oriented, capable of maintaining several laboratory projects simultaneously.
· Ability to function autonomously but exercise sound judgment in seeking appropriate supervision.
· Skilled in communicating effectively and facilitating group processes.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with sponsors, researchers, and other team members.
· Comply with all standard operating procedures and quality control systems per the University of Colorado policy.
· Comply with any laboratory duties assigned by the PI.
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 18882
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for 3-5 professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.