Based in Washington, D.C.
Reports to the Program Manager
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
We are looking for a Program Coordinator to provide administrative, operational, financial and program management support in the Foundation Markets. The Program Coordinator (PC) will have wide ranging responsibilities and work with PSI staff at all levels both in Washington and overseas with 50% of his or her time dedicated time to the PSI/Mali Chemonics PSM project. The position requires flexibility and willingness to assume varied duties and projects with an emphasis on administrative and financial tasks. This position is based in Washington, D.C. and reports to the Senior Program Manager for Foundation Markets.
The position will form part of a global backstopping team based in DC and will be expected to interact regularly with the field offices in the region, as well as other departments in Washington including Contracts, Finance, and Procurement. The ideal candidate is someone who will pro-actively meet administrative needs, can juggle multiple, competing priorities, and will enthusiastically ensure smooth and timely flow of work.
Sound like you? Read on.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Program Coordinator is responsible for providing administrative and financial support to the Foundation Markets team in DC and overseas. 50% of this positions time will be dedicated to supporting PSI Mali’s Chemonics PSM project.
Foundation Markets Support
- Provide dynamic and proactive administrative support to the Foundation Markets team.
- Serve as the point of contact for all unit-wide requests and manage Foundation Markets email groups and SharePoint pages.
- Support the design of tools and systems for knowledge management and information tracking including the development and roll-out of standard operating procedures (SOP) for archiving, filing, and classifying documentation.
- Monitor internal report management systems and tools.
- Manage requisitions for procurements and consultant contracts.
- Review and process vendor and consultant invoices generated through DC.
- Manage and organize Foundation Market events such as: meetings, retreats, team building activities, etc.
- Assist with travel arrangements for Foundation Markets staff including: helping to secure visas for urgent travel, making hotel reservations, and scheduling appointments.
Chemonics PSM project support
- Ensure full compliance of financial and administrative components of the Chemonics-GHSC/PSM project.
- Support the production of timely and quality financial reports and invoices for client approval,
- Coordinate and review the client invoicing process in close coordination with PSI/Mali and DC Finance Department ensuring all invoices/ support documentations are submitted on time and are of high quality.
- Monitor account receivables to ensure that timely payments are being made
- Monitor project expenditures to ensure that costs are substantiated and allowable.
- Track line item spending burn rates to prepare limitation of funds notifications and projections.
- Prepared budgets for contract realignments and modifications, in collaboration with the PMT team.
- Ensure branding and marking requirements are properly administered throughout project implementation.
- Prepare all requests for Chemonics’s (salary increase, travel, etc.)
- Ensure translation of all deliverables prior to submission to Chemonics
- Develop the monthly timecard/level of effort (LOE) billing reports.
- Perform ad-hoc analysis as needed as well as other tasks
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- Bachelor’s degree.
- French and English fluency required.
- At least 2 years experience working in a fast-paced office environment with a minimum of one year of relevant experience.
- Experience living outside the United States and in multicultural environments preferred.
- Advanced computer skills with strong Excel and SharePoint skills (and including MS Office applications).
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills with strong attention to detail and timeliness.
- Proven ability to develop routines to manage large workloads and organize work efficiently.
- Readiness to interact with a variety of people and assume diverse duties and tasks.
Successful candidates will be customer service oriented, exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills; have proven problem solving ability; be able to work efficiently and quickly under pressure; be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks; and have the ability to work with minimal supervision and follow through on assignments. Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated interest in international health and development issues.
Icing on the cake
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; you feel comfortable speaking up when you have something important to say and have the ability to effectively interact with senior management.
- Mind for Process Improvement. You bring awareness and commitment to doing work effectively and efficiently. We want people who will see a way to streamline or improve a process and who won’t hesitate to share their ideas in making it happen.
- Champion of Fun. You support the idea that the team that works hard should play hard. We like people with a team attitude who smile and encourage others through both easy and tough tasks.
References will be required. Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.