The Office of Public Health Preparedness (OPHP) is a division of the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC). The mission of OPHP is to enhance community, public health, and healthcare system resilience in order to prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies that impact the health of the public. OPHP envisions a resilient Boston through healthy, informed, and connected communities that are supported every day and during emergencies by strong, integrated public health and healthcare systems.
The Program Manager for Response Operations manages the Stephen M. Lawlor Medical Intelligence Center (MIC) Duty Officer program, OPHP's emergency on-call system. OPHP operates the MIC as the Department Operations Center for BPHC and the public health and healthcare coordination center for the City of Boston, serving as the central point of coordination for the city's Emergency Support Function 8 -- Public Health and Medical Services and the Health and Social Services Recovery Support Function. A successful MIC Duty Officer Program allows OPHP to quickly and effectively respond to any emerging threats or hazards that impact the health and well-being of City of Boston resident's and the city's public health and healthcare systems. This position supports and enhances the MIC Duty Officer Program by ensuring that MIC Duty Officers have the knowledge, skills, and tools to serve in this function. In this role, the Program Manager's specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Manages and guides the development of systems, processes, and tools for the MIC Duty Officer program to ensure operational readiness and effectiveness of all MIC Duty Officers, including:
* Reviewing and recommending updates to program standard operating guides, documents, and overall structure;
* Developing job aids, job action sheets, quick reference guides, and/or other documents as appropriate to assist MIC Duty Officers while on duty;
* Developing processes to record all significant MIC Duty Officer activities for weekly, quarterly, annual and after-action reports; and
* Serving as a subject matter expert in the development of education and training opportunities for MIC Duty Officers.
* Serves as the daytime MIC Duty Officer, which includes serving as the primary investigator and/or as the primary recipient of phone calls, emails and other inquiries in a timely fashion as they relate to a developing or present incident.
* Staffs the MIC during planned and unplanned MIC activations and fulfills MIC position specific responsibilities. Assists other OPHP colleagues with MIC set up and operational responsibilities.
* Ensures MIC Duty Officer equipment is operational and in good working condition. Evaluates and monitors equipment to determine effectiveness and recommends changes/improvements.
* Maintains situational awareness of potential, emerging and actual events that impact public health and healthcare community and organizations in the City of Boston. This is achieved by monitoring, analyzing, interpreting, synthesizing, and disseminating information using OPHP communication protocols and tools, as appropriate.
* Serves as a point of contact and representative of OPHP and the MIC to partnering agencies and organizations.
* Utilizes and maintains the various communication, technology and software systems utilized by OPHP during response operations.
* Works with other OPHP staff to manage inventory and logistics for various OPHP response equipment and supplies.
* Maintains an ongoing awareness of OPHP and BPHC emergency plans, protocols and procedures for daily and emergency operations.
* Prepares reports and briefing materials to provide information on status of all projects, as well as recommendations for future action.
* Collects, reviews and analyzes information to determine effectiveness, and recommend changes/improvements.
* Ensures that project goals and objectives are consistent with both federal and state grant guidance.
* May assist with oversight of Memoranda of Agreement, RFP's and grants with regional partners.
* Participates in work planning, coordination and management.
* Represents OPHP at meetings, conferences and other events as needed.
* Supervises consultants and interns as assigned.
* Performs other duties to support BPHC and OPHP operations as required.
* Participates in trainings and other educational opportunities to enhance knowledge of emergency preparedness, response and recovery field
* Performs other duties to support OPHP operations as required.
Core competencies include the ability to: adapt to and support rapidly changing and evolving emergencies; describe the agency role and follow the chain of command in emergency response; demonstrate her/his role in regular drills; and recognize deviations from the norm that might indicate an emergency and take/facilitate appropriate action(s) such as communicating clearly within the chain of command.
Works in a confidential capacity with the Associate Director, Emergency Operations and meets regularly regarding all aspects of program operations, including but not limited to matters pertaining to program staff and other confidential matters. Operates independently as well as within a team. Uses independent judgment and discretion to make decisions affecting the program and staff as it relates to program operations/services and BPHC policy. Promotes OPHP's mission and vision while upholding its six core values.
BA/BS degree required, field related to emergency management, healthcare, or public health preferred; OR High School diploma/GED and 3 years of equivalent experience in public health and healthcare emergency management.
* Ability to act quickly and decisively and maintain composure in an emergency required.
* Ability to analyze and interpret information and data in an emergency required.
* Ability to exercise tact and sound judgment required.
* Ability to establish good working relationships with a diverse group of public, private, and community partners required.
* Ability to write clear, concise reports, and to follow and to give clear written and oral instructions is essential. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required for this position.
* Exceptional organizational skills are required.
* Ability to meet deadlines and manage projects under stressful conditions is required.
* Ability to use independent judgment as well as work in a team is required.
* Proven ability to quickly learn and apply new technologies.
* Advanced knowledge & experience with MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel, and PowerPoint required.
* Knowledge of the principles and practices of emergency preparedness and public health strongly preferred.
* Experience in emergency management, as well as knowledge of healthcare systems preferred.
* Familiarity with and knowledge of local community agencies is desired.
* Customer service/call center experience is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled