If you are an active Vivint employee, please apply through Workday by searching "Find Jobs".
Our mission is to redefine the home experience through intelligently designed products and services delivered to every home by people who care.
WHO ARE WE:
Vivint Smart Home is a leading smart home company in North America. Vivint delivers an integrated smart home system with in-home consultation, professional installation and support delivered by its Smart Home Pros, as well as 24-7 customer care and monitoring. Dedicated to redefining the home experience with intelligent products and services, Vivint serves more than 1.4 million customers throughout the U.S. and Canada. Vivint is on the Forbes 2018 list of “America’s Best Employers, as well as the Forbes 2019 list of “America’s Best Employers for Diversity.” The company is the largest tech employer in Utah, a certified Great Place to Work, and one of Fast Company’s World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies for 2017. For more information, visit www.vivint.com.
THE ROLE– Program Manager / Snr Program Manager:
The Program Manager will work with a high performing team leading Vivint SmartHome’s Innovation group as they look to deliver innovative and leading services via technology (incl software, hardware, analytics and strategic partnerships). Work across operational and product/engineering groups to deliver outcomes while contributing to improving the way we work together.
The Program Manager will lead a single program or multiple programs depending on size and complexity including multiple project streams across Vivint’s Innovation Center teams (product management, hardware and software engineering, UX, design, QA) as well as Vivint’s broader operational groups (supply chain, operations, IT, marketing, Finance). The role will cover projects from full new product development, product feature development, revisions of hardware or software updates or product pilots. Depending on the size and complexity of the program a program manager may manage all the above aspects or may be part of a team with a lead program manager to deliver the scope.
At the fundamental level, the program manager’s role in Vivint is to lead a broad team and manage scope, budget, schedule and quality with high order ability to bring people and teams together, identify risks, necessary tradeoffs to maintain track with program goals and negotiate between those stakeholders to deliver a product that will meet our business goals to delight our customers, provide peace of mind and be business accretive (value accretive, channel ready, service smart)
NOTE: Differentiation between Program Manager and Snr Program Manager will be based on the preferred attributes and competencies and higher levels of experience in the requirements. In addition, Snr Program Managers will manage programs with customer/market facing launch and product implications versus Program Managers who would typically be involved in product updates/improvements or infrastructure programs. These are flexible parameters based on need and individual competency levels.
- OWNERSHIP: Own the plan, schedule and budget for your assigned program and projects. Understand priorities and create clear plans to deliver. Communicate with stakeholders and partners. Set and meet commitments. Set specific release dates and milestones with the team and keep them focused on owning those accountabilities while communicating needs for support or issues that put those at risk.
- LEADERSHIP: Know Vivint’s strategic priorities, and make sure the team’s work is aligned to the top priorities. Partner with engineering teams to deliver working solutions in software, products and systems. Set schedules and create strong execution plans to develop products and features to bring to market. Partner with the Product, Engineering, Supply Chain, external partners and Operations team to drive the program. Work across teams to review proposed scope and provide Level of Effort (LOE) estimates as well as suitable tradeoffs for quality and business risk.
- COMMUNICATION: Create appropriate communications to update the business regularly on status, risks and support needed to be successful. Provide weekly status updates communicating progress towards commitment in terms of scope, schedule, and cost.
- RISK AND ISSUE MANAGEMENT: Lead the team to identify risks up front, manage and mitigate them and monitor residual risks and any issues that arise. Track tasks and lead a culture of accountability in the team and across the business. Setup excellent change and risk management practices to keep work on track.
DAY 2 DAY & TOOLS:
- Facilitate and chair relevant program meetings, participate in agile activities where appropriate, develop communications and deliver to stakeholders. Hold regular risk reviews and accountability tracking meetings. Work with stakeholders as risks and issues arise. Develop partner relationships and manage performance of partners relating to program delivery. Work with team to monitor and keep program on track or escalate risk and support needed as required.
- Draw on professional experience of scheduling, risk and task tracking platforms (MS PROJECT, SMARTSHEETS, EXCEL, etc) as well as content and engineering tracking systems (e.g. JIRA, CONFLUENCE, SHAREPOINT, etc)
- A bias to strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills will exist in assessing success in this role along with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment where change and pivots to priorities occur occasionally.
- MATRIX (or CROSS-FUNCTIONAL) STRUCTURE / PRODUCT PORTFOLIO VERTICALS: The program manager’s primary relationships and responsibility are to the team they work with on a daily basis and they are assign as well as co-located within a product portfolio ‘vertical’ or team (incl product, engineering, UX, etc) where they support the Vertical Lead and team to execute on their roadmap and plans.
- REPORTING LINE: The program roles report up through the Program Management organization for support on methodologies, tools, skill development, escalation and best practices/performance management etc. A program manager will typically report to the Vertical Program Lead, who reports to the VP, Product Programs.
- VIVINT OPERATIONS AND OTHER TEAMS: The Program Manager will assume a broader responsibility for leading the respective programs they own across all of Vivint and interface with representatives or leads from each of the operational units (Supply Chain, Finance, Field Services, Customer Care, IT, Marketing) and relevant channels (Direct to Home, NIS, Retail) to ensure coordinated and aligned product launches and decisions.
- EXTERNAL PARTNERS: For vendors or suppliers, the Program Manager partners with our supply chain organization (who lead partner/vendor selection, ongoing relationships, commercial agreements and broader performance) to manage partner performance in relation to their specific program. This will include developing appropriate relationships and accountability mechanisms to monitor status, schedule performance and risks and issues. In the scenario where a program includes working in partnership with am external channel partner the Program Manager also support sales and teams and develops a relationship with them as it pertains to execution of the program milestones and goals.
REQUIRED SKILLS and ATTRIBUTES:
- Team Leadership, ability to establish a leadership identity within the respective groups and overall stakeholder organizations and partners.
- Demonstrate the ability and track record of leading in project delivery and excellence in communication.
- Demonstrate passion to succeed, inspire and motivate the team.
- Strong negotiation skills as well as ability to facilitate informed and timely decisions and mediating tradeoffs with various groups to deliver a product on time and ready for market.
- Deliver clear, concise professional verbal and written communication that is appropriate to the situation and audience. Including commitment to transparency, and stakeholder-based communication.
- Exceptional collaboration, listening, written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to clearly communicate with both business and technical audiences.
- Encourage participation & decision-making by all team members and effectively manage group dynamics.
- Experience working with remote and overseas teams and ability to engage across various cultural and language environments.
- Willingness to travel and participate in after-hours calls as required when working with partners in other geographic locations.
- Honesty & Integrity: do the right thing
- Customer Obsession: relentless passion to serve the customer
- Innovation: innovation is essential – today’s innovation is tomorrow’s lifeblood
- Winning Together: individuals win games; teams win championships
- Exceptional: create value, not just motion
- Giving Back: helping people
- Accountability: holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Communication: developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear message to different audiences
- Growth Mindset: frame of mind where basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work while embracing resilience, change, and nimble learning
- People Skills: ability to communicate effectively on an interpersonal level; manage conflict positively; work productively with others to find solutions and reach agreement, and motivate and inspire others
- Influence: the capacity to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, and opinions of stakeholders
- Business Acumen: applying knowledge of company business and the industry to achieve organizational goals
- Executive Presence: the way to carry yourself, present yourself, communicate with others, and project competence and calm
- High-Performing Teams: create common vision, goals, metrics and collaborate, challenge and hold each other accountable to achieve outstanding results
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE and QUALIFICATIONS:
- Min. 5+ years professional experience leading large programs, including hardware, services platform and software projects, with internal and external design, development, and quality teams. Hardware and Software experience is not mandatory but a clear aptitude and willingness to work with those domains is needed.
- Bachelors' degree in Business, Engineering or a related field with formal project management training (preferably PMP or similar qualifications).
- Previous experience managing external suppliers or partners as part of program delivery (preference to outsourced SW engagements or CM/JDM/ODM management).
- Strong preference for experience with devices, consumer electronics, manufacturing and consumer facing hardware, and/or software products.
- Track record of leading others & positive change in project definition, project delivery, and process improvement.
- Working experience with project methodologies such as agile and related hardware development processes incl EVT/DVT/PVT framework awareness.
- Past success in creating high performance teams, inspiring and empowering them to achieve results.