Job Ref.: 5299
Job Title: Project Architect
Role: Engineering, Science, or Related
Relocation Available: No
Town / City: Wise
Job Type: Permanent full-time
- Originate and direct design of projects to meet client programs and budget parameters.
- Participate and/or lead design charettes.
- Prepare or direct others in the preparation of preliminary architectural reports, schematic design, design development, and contract document submittals, including coordination of architectural drawings and specs with all engineering disciplines involved on projects.
- Monitor design of project to keep projected construction costs in line with the client’s construction budget.
- Monitor the Project Work Plan to keep track of hours charged to the project, and progress made vs. the approved budget for the current phase. Be responsible for keeping projects on budget and schedule.
- If requested by the Director of Architecture, participate in the firm’s business development activities, including preparation of designs and drawings for presentations and participation in interviews with prospective clients.
- Work with Project Manager to establish reasonable man-hour budgets for work anticipated on assignments directly under the Project Architect’s control. The Director of Architecture will approve work plans before submitting to the Project Manager.
- Assist Project Manager in pre-design activities including project initiation meetings with the client, programming, and coordination of surveying and geotechnical investigations, zoning research, and environmental reviews.
- Lead the Project Team in performance of the project’s bidding/award phase, as well as the construction administration phase in all respects.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Mentor and guide less experienced architectural interns through sharing of experience and knowledge.
- Able to work with building and site engineers to develop the complete project and to work through coordination "opportunities".
- Work with contractors to solve CA "opportunities" in an efficient and timely manner.
- A team player.
- Reports directly to the Director of Architecture.
- Professional Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Architecture.
- NCARB Certificate and registration in the Commonwealth of Virginia or capability thereof through NCARB reciprocity process.
- Five to fifteen years of experience as a registered Architect.
- Proficient in building construction techniques, products, and systems (conversant in structural, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, fire protection).
- Knowledge and skill in applying general design standards and methods of documentation in the form of drawings and specifications.
- Experience in training and directing the work of others.
- Ability to design and plan major construction projects.
- Familiar with national building codes and how to interpret local zoning ordinances.
- Proficient in AutoCAD Architecture and Revit.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Experience in developing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Detail oriented – excellent written and communication skills.
- Able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Able to communicate with all levels of the corporate structure.
- Available for occasional overnight travel.
- Solid understanding of architectural production procedures and how they apply to construction techniques.
- Grasp of construction costs/scheduling, time management, and internal budgeting.
- Proactive problem solving abilities.
- Obvious enthusiasm, initiative, and pride in work.
Bottom Line Requirements:
Apply for this job