Project and Construction Management Supervisor-19538
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking Project and Construction Management Section Supervisor within the Facilities Design and Construction Group.
This position will be reporting to the Group Supervisor of Facilities Design and Construction Group. The section supervisor will supervise the Project Managers, Construction Managers, contractors and support personnel. This section is responsible for executing all APL facilities projects. A Section Supervisor is being sought to supervise, lead, and mentor a section of approximately ten to twelve staff, where staff are expected to have a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. The Section Supervisor will be responsible for defining expectations, implementing guidance and policies, providing performance coaching, and fostering the professional development of the staff in their section. They will work closely with other Section Supervisors in the Group, as well as leadership across the Laboratory, to maximize the impact to the organization, create and sustain a culture of excellence and cross-enterprise collaboration.
Responsible for establishing and promoting a climate conducive to intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation, collaboration, growth, productivity, and respect for others. Draft personnel requisitions, interview candidates, collaborate on the hiring decisions, and ensure that technical knowledge is exchanged within and beyond the section. Implement best project management practices to ensure compliance with APL policies. Ensure that the section is staffed at the correct level and that staff are aligned appropriately. Work collaboratively across the Department and Lab to foster partnering to maximize the impact to the organization. Facilitate and oversee the implementation of section level operational transformation initiatives.
Support staff development and coach staff as necessary, including receiving partner feedback throughout the year. Inspire and empower the staff to create a culture that embraces excellence, problem solving, diversity of thought, inclusion, and continuous improvement. Provide resources needed to train and develop the staff to meet current and emerging needs. Communicate often with staff regarding organizational vision and provide continual feedback and coaching support. Identify and develop key talent for future leadership roles.
Ensure the section has the appropriate resources, facilities and tools needed to meet its mission. Oversees the development of all project specific Project Management Plans (PMP) to assure optimum product schedule, cost, scope, acquisition plan, budget and quality.Oversees all phases of major projects to assure integration and coordination within established time frames and maintains corporate goals and objectives, consistent with commitments, policy, and measurable performance criteria. Conducts periodic program review and analysis briefings to compare progress with objectives and established milestones. Identifies areas where slippage is occurring and determines required corrective action to bring project in line with established schedules. Reviews project progress, including contract modifications.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, architecture, or project or construction management or equivalent and 10 years of progressive experience in construction and project management with a minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience. Work experience may be substituted for education requirement.
- Demonstrated success in leading and managing staff
- Knowledge of concepts regarding building codes, zoning ordinances, laws related to facilities, and other state and federal regulations and of best practices in project delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and lead change all the time working in a practical manner to ensure that change is delivered in a sustainable way.
- A self-motivated, strong influencer and negotiator with demonstrated ability to assess situations, collaborate across the organization, make timely decisions and communicate these decisions clearly and concisely.
- Unquestionable integrity with exceptional communication skills and ability to effectively interact with all levels of staff.
- Experience with estimating, budgeting, annual operating plans, participation in strategic planning, establishing staffing plans and capital planning/management.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Project Management, Construction Management or related field.
- Licensed Architect or Professional Engineer certification in the State of Maryland or ability to become licensed within 6 months of hire
- Experience with the regulatory environment in the State of Maryland.
- Experience working in large campus environment and construction of secure facilities.
- PMI, CFM, CMAA, or other professional Certification.
Special Working Conditions:
Requires the occasional operation of APL vehicles. Requires occasional non-standard work hours.
Ability to get Secret Clearance. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Primary Location *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel