Sargent & Lundy’s clients in the energy and industrial markets recognize us as a global leader in power generation, power distribution, plant design, advanced technologies, environmental compliance, mid-stream and downstream oil & gas and multi-disciplined industrial projects.
We provide comprehensive engineering, design, analysis, and consulting for energy and industrial markets worldwide. Sargent & Lundy’s professional and highly experienced staff has the ability and know-how to take on the smallest of tasks to scope-intensive, complex projects. If you are interested in this type of dynamic work, consider joining the Sargent & Lundy team. We are currently looking for a qualified project controls and scheduling specialist for our Chicago, Illinois office.
This position will offer you the ability to directly apply your technical skills to meet project team and client needs for monitoring project performance, performing cost analysis and developing/maintaining project schedules. This work will include interfacing directly with project management, client management and site personnel for the development of detailed integrated schedules for the engineering, procurement and construction scopes of work associated energy generation and distribution projects. Using a variety of industry and proprietary software tools, and under the direction of the project lead, you will perform the following tasks:
- Implement project controls tools and methodology
- Assemble supporting documentation to meet project team and client requests/needs
- Analyze data and build reports to support project monitoring and decision making
- Perform CPI/SPI calculations using earned value principles
- Forecast and update manhour budgets using a work breakdown structure (WBS) account system; report expenditures outside the budgeted scope
- Monitor and report on cost control performance; continuously update actual expenditures and forecast budget impact.
- On an ongoing basis, develop and maintain detailed project schedules, including resource loading labor hours to schedule activities
- There is the potential for you to travel to client offices or plant site locations for design reviews and project coordination meetings.
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- Computer Skills: Working knowledge in MS Office tools, with emphasis on the advanced use of MS Excel in creating and maintaining detailed, interactive spreadsheets, workbooks, and databases.
- Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a proven ability to interact and multitask with project team members, clients, and vendors of varying position levels.
- Motivation: Eager to learn new skills and develop knowledge to add make a valuable impact to project team operation. Willing to engage with others to understand project team needs.
- Detail-Oriented: Committed to deliver high quality, accurate deliverables with attention to detail.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Bachelor of science degree from an ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission-approved program with a strong academic background, preferably with an emphasis in Construction Management, Industrial Engineering, or General Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Related engineering internship, co-op, or work experience, which includes project controls, project planning, project scheduling, and earned value performance, preferably within the power industry
- Familiarity with scheduling software, preferably Primavera P6
- Familiarity with Cognos reporting software
- PMI Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.