At Southland we aspire to build a workforce that’s as diverse as the people who occupy the buildings we design, build and maintain. Building talent by design, is our intentional approach to creating a truly safe, collaborative and inclusive work environment that fosters growth, empowers professional achievement and where people are treated with respect at all levels.
Our Internship and New College Graduate programis best designedfor those students who seek a truly immersive and hands-on experience. At Southland, we view every student as a potential hire and ensure each intern, co-op student, and every new college graduate is truly set up for success to accomplish short and long term career goals. If astudent program that exposes you to exciting projects and potential career paths with one of the country’s largest MEP building systems firms appeals to you and you'reready for the next big step in your career, thenJOINour team and become a part of an organizationthat valuesPEOPLE,SAFETY, INNOVATION, COLLABORATION, INTEGRITY,ACCOUNTABILITY& SUSTAINABILITY.
Build your experience with us!
Our internship program is designed to introduce students to a career in the Design/Build HVAC, Plumbing and Fire Protection industry. Primary responsibility is to assist a design manager or project manager to successfully coordinate a project using the necessary engineering, labor, equipment, materials, tools, and subcontracted services. This position requires the development of skills in design, estimating and scheduling to better understand the coordination of the design-build construction process.
What you’ll do as a Project Engineer Intern or Full Time Grad hire:
- Support field labor
- Labor feedback
- Equipment & Subcontractor procurement
- Document Control
- Design, Trade & Subcontractor coordination
- Assist in budget analysis, cost and margin projections, estimate project changes & impacts, etc.
- Assist in the development of project schedules.
Things we love to see in our Interns or Full Time Grad hires:
- A strong work ethic
- Initiative and drive to get the job done
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to be resourceful and resilient
- Able to solve problems with limited support
- Quick learner, seeks answers on their own
- Positive attitude during adverse/non-ideal situations
- Exercises Accountability in stressful situations (avoids placing blame)
- Goal Oriented
- Collaborative spirit and a Good Teammate has a “We vs. Me” attitude
- Strong active listening skills
- Competent general business writing and public speaking
You’re pursuing a degree that aligns with Southland needs:
- Mechanical, Architectural, Electrical Engineering
- Construction Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Safety Sciences
- Other areas of interest Building Automation, Energy Management
- You have an Interest in technical courses fluids, heat transfer, CM scheduling, finance, etc.
What you’ll gain from our Student Programs at Southland Industries:
- Basic knowledge of HVAC design to include types of equipment utilized in the industry as well as general understanding of system operations (i.e. variable air, constant volume, refrigeration cycle) is desired but not required.
- The ability to read mechanical and plumbing drawings and identify work installed to track labor feedback accurately.
- The ability to prepare an equipment delivery log and track status of these orders.
- You’ll learn to communicate effectively with engineers, vendors and suppliers to procure, manage and update the submittal process.
- Ability to communicate with field foremen in order to write and track Requests for Information (RFI) both internally with our design department and externally with the architect or other designers.
- Finally, you’ll get your hands dirty!
Internship/Co-op Program Benefits:
- Hands-on classroom and on-the-job experience in your specific role
- Opportunity to work side by side with company leaders
- Socially distant group activities and team events
- Paid housing (some locations)
- Paid internship/Co-op
- Potential full-time employment opportunities
Full-time Employee Benefits:
As an employee-owned company, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to all full-time employees, that includes excellent benefits for you and your family:
- 401(k) Plan with50% Company Match(no cap) and immediate 100% vesting
- Annual bonus program based upon performance, profitability, and achievement
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance 100% Paid for Employee
- Term Life, AD&D Insurance, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Disability Income Protection Insurance
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Plans (Health and Dependent Care)
- Holidays/Vacation/Personal Time/Life Events Leave
- Numerous training opportunities and company paid membership for professional associations and licenses
To hear what our employees are saying about working at Southland Industries, check out our Career Video -Working at Southland
Southland Industries and all its subsidiaries are anEqual Opportunity Employerand prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing our employees with a safe work environment free of discrimination and harassment.All employment decisions at Southland Industries are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, gender, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, family care or medical leave status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Southland Industries will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
**All employment offers are contingent upon successful, drug test, background check and professional reference checks. **
**We are not able to offer sponsorship of employment at this time**
If you don’t feel this position is match for you, we encourage you to share it with others. Feel free to share throughout your social networks and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram to keep up to date on what we’re doing as a company.