Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and point-to-point transport services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 202 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment. Matching 401k and stock options are also included.
- Provide hands-on technical expertise for maintaining, troubleshooting and turning-up fiber optic networks
- Turn-up and test new customer circuits
- Drive the implementation of metro network augmentation and expansion
- Work with vendors to build out risers within a "Class A" office buildings
- Provide coordination between field managers and HQ on construction projects
- Work with Network Engineering to provide field perspective and expertise to network deployments
- Select, manage and train vendors on network support and construction related activities
- Maintain proficiency in current and evolving technological developments in power systems, telecommunications infrastructure, fiber, CWDM and DWDM technologies
- Working knowledge of network architectures and telecom infrastructure
- Proficiency in the use of optical test equipment, including power meters, OTDRs and OSAs, and interpretation of test results.
- Strong problem solving and trouble shooting skills
- High-energy individual with interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivate peers, and drive project to completion
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills
- Successful project management experience
- 4-15 years of telecommunications experience with fiber transmission equipment including 3+ years field experience
- Experience managing vendors and carriers
- Familiarity with Telco operations
- Logistical planning with a high level of sound technical skills, analytical ability, and sound judgment
- Associate’s degree in a technical field, and/or an equivalent combination of experience, training and education that may substitute for the degree
Additional Qualifications: Budgeting, Project Manager, Travel 50%
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Engineering Project Manager