Responsible for creating and improving products that meets Tramec Sloan strategic goals while integrating the needs of sales, marketing, and manufacturing. Performs the research, development, and design of concepts. Oversees the design process through the production phase. Maintains and makes changes to the product structure within the ERP system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Coordinates the complete development for the designated products including, but not limited to design, build and test activities, in accordance with standard operating procedures and the new product introduction process.
• Incorporates customer requirements, regulations, and product specifications into the design of the designated products, ensuring compliance with operational, cost, timing, safety, reliability, quality, and manufacturing feasibility parameters.
• Analyzes products and formulates engineering conclusions by the application of engineering and/or mathematical principles and tools. Applies APQP, FEA, FMEA, DOE, VA/VE and DFM/DFA in the development of the product.
• Writes/compiles engineering content for the following deliverables: quotes, engineering specifications and documentation, including DVP&R's, 8D's, GD&T, BOM, prototype control plans, key product characteristics, and engineering changes.
• Consults and collaborates with personnel in various engineering and design activities related to product development requirements. Conducts effective communications within the project team and the customer, supplier, manufacturing, and quality communities with guidance from engineering management personnel while maintaining all appropriate documentation.
• Works within a group and independently to resolve customer, supplier, and manufacturing issues related to product design.
• Design and project work could include projects related to hydraulics, pneumatics, metal stamping, roll-forming, injection molding, welding, and a plethora of other manufacturing materials and processes.
• Responsible for complying with all company policies, procedures, values, ethics, and rules.
• Maintains complete security and confidentiality of all company records.
• Other duties may be assigned by supervisor.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline, Mechanical, Design or Electrical preferred
• Minimum of 3 years of experience or equivalent required
• Proficient in English, both verbal and written communications, additional language fluency is a plus
• Strong project management skills are required
• Proficient in Solid Works, CAD, Epicor, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Teams, Outlook).
Other Skills and Abilities
• Familiarity with the heavy-duty trucking industry concepts, practices, and procedures is a plus.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with clients, co-workers, vendors, and business partners.
• Strong project management skills.
• Understanding of lean manufacturing concepts.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to work independent of supervision and make a wide variety of complex decisions.
• Candidate must be a fast learner with a high attention to detail.
• Organization and time management skills.
• Ability to travel up to 20%.