Gilliland Construction Management is seeking an experienced and energetic construction project manager that is looking to join an innovative, fast growing, entrepreneurial CM firm. This position provides significant opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects with a rapidly expanding firm in the local San Diego market and provides significate opportunities to help grow and expand the firm and play an integral part of its success. We are searching for potential candidates with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the construction industry and 5 years in the project management/Owner’s rep field. The New candidate must also have significant experience working on lab projects.
The project manager has responsibility for the overall management of the design and construction process to ensure client satisfaction. These duties include:
- Serve as owner’s rep/liaison between the client and the design and construction professionals.
- Prepare RFP’s for design, engineering and general contractor services.
- Negotiate terms and conditions of designer, engineer and general contractor contracts and oversee the execution of the contract.
- Understand and enforce contractual requirements and assist in generating addenda.
- Assist with planning and analysis of conceptual design issues and preconstruction activities.
- Assist with preconstruction and pre-bid meetings.
- Employ project management systems to manage and control the project documentation process such as; plan changes, RFI’s, submittals, change orders and ASI’s.
- Prepare, monitor and update the project schedules using Microsoft Project.
- Process consultant and general contractor billings.
- Review plans and specifications for quality control, project knowledge and constructability.
- Create project budgets and track actual costs against these budgets.
- Conduct regular meetings with all project participants and document meetings with meeting minutes. Follow up on project open items.
- Meet with contractors, architects, engineers and consultants to review the project status and resolve issues.
- Review and analyze potential change orders.
- Prepare and distribute construction observation reports, progress status reports, schedules, pay applications and cost control reports.
- Manage the project closeout process.
Other duties will include:
- Assist in business development and proposal preparation.
Skills and Experience
This position requires at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree in a related field such as construction management, architecture, engineering or business management. We are searching for potential candidates with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the construction industry and 5 years in the project management/Owner’s rep field. The New candidate must also have significant experience working on lab projects. Candidates should be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of construction documentation and sequencing, as well as be able to read construction plans, prepare project estimates and develop project schedules. They should be able to understand construction means and methods to a relatively high degree, including fundamentals of tenant improvement and ground up construction. Candidates should have the ability to recognize problems and produce workable alternative solutions that will meet the owner/client expectations. Candidates must be trustworthy and possess solid leadership traits, including proactive problem-solving.
The position requires interaction with various professionals and clients. Therefore, candidates must be outstanding communicators, and be skilled in both verbal and written communication. Good listening, negotiation and problem-solving skills are also required. Candidates must possess solid organizational and computer skills. They need to be proficient at Microsoft Office including: Project, Excel, Word and Power Point, as well as Blue Beam, Adobe Acrobat and be familiar with using Dropbox.
LEED Certified Candidates are desirable.
About the company
Gilliland Construction Management is a San Diego based rapidly growing, construction project management firm; providing design and construction consulting services to its clients. Gilliland Construction Management acts as the client’s representative, assembling the design and construction team and then manages the entire design and construction process from concept through occupancy. Current projects include large and small tenant improvement projects, lab projects, higher education projects, multi- family projects, campus re-imaging projects and ground-up buildings.
Gilliland Construction Management is led by Kirt Gilliland. Mr. Gilliland is an industry veteran with over 35 years of experience in the design and construction industry and has managed hundreds of projects valued at over $1 Billion.