Responsible for managing multiple PDPs and projects/contracts of broad scope and significant financial value. Have direct responsibility for customer communications & full responsibility for management of internal engineering activities with minimal supervision/guidance from the Engineering Manager. Significant and detailed understanding of project financials analyses, resource allocation, and scheduling. Complete and track change orders. Manages project financials with limited guidance from the Director of Customer Engineering. Develops project plans and coordinates project activities amongst project team members. Travel to client and vendor facilities as required for meetings, reviews and client support and has greater autonomy for decisions regarding cost, scope and schedule. Mentors and assists with the training of junior level PMs and Project Engineers. Develops and implements project group strategies to reduce costs and increase group efficiencies. Able to assume limited responsibilities of Engineering Manager when requested.
Responsible for all phases of process design work for commercial projects supporting our global customers across various industries. This includes developing heat and weight balances, equipment sizing and specification, developing PFDs and P&IDs, and developing and executing project plans for delivery of engineering packages. This position will lead various engineering projects at any given time. Coordinating with a cross-functional global team is essential to ensure that the robust process is followed, resulting in timely and accurate project execution. This role will also mentor on all engineering disciplines assigned to projects.
Specific Job Function:
- Client Communication: Includes client interface both in person and via electronic or hard copy means. Must be capable of handling interfaces in a professional manner. Negotiate critical issues with clients.
- Ensure the review of project documentation so that project is completed per all technical and commercial requirements. Documentation responsibilities may include contracts, purchase orders, estimates, change orders, client specifications, budgets, schedules, etc. Must be capable of understanding each of these documents.
- Supervise and direct internal project meetings and produce project reports.
- Supervise and review work completed by Project personnel.
- Oversee and manage the project budgets, schedules and cost expenditures by working with a Scheduler to update schedules to ensure contract requirements are met.
- Complete and track change orders, including negotiating cost and schedule impacts with client.
- Manage internal and subcontracted projects. Includes R&D and scale up projects and subcontracts for Engineering, Fabrication of piping, structural steel and vessels, and other services such as painting, insulation and I&E work. Responsible for completing or reviewing scope of work, requisitions and purchase order to subcontractors. Will be required to review subcontractor work including engineering documents, estimate personnel needs and schedule and assign work to meet required completion dates.
- Ensure review of fabricated equipment so that contracted client requirements are met.
- Travel to client facilities for meetings, reviews and support.
- Accountable for basic engineering packages which includes, but is not limited to:
- Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s).
- Detailed Heat and Weight Balances for new or modified processes.
- Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s).
- Equipment lists and specifications.
- Delivering on-schedule and within project budgets
- Respond to client needs in a timely manner with technically sound positions.
- Utilize specified software, models and LanzaTech proprietary tools to size equipment.
- Validate calculations, heat and weight balances data, equipment sizing and equipment specification information pre-packaged by other Process Engineers.
- Work with plant operating personnel to troubleshoot operation issues.
- Interact with third parties such as equipment vendors, Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contractors and industry consultants.
- Participate in or lead process HAZOPs and risk identification and mitigation activities.
- Develop and share best practices with the engineering team and throughout the company.
- Prepare accurate calculations, some of which are non-standard.
- Lead in the continuous improvement effort of LanzaTech’s design methodologies and tools to address customers’ needs and the productivity within LanzaTech.
- Provide R&D, sales and Technical Services support, as required.
- BS in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player mentality.
- Skilled in MS Office suite and MS Project
- Able to demonstrate effective coordination, planning and organizational skills.
- Good presentation skills.
- Able to prioritize and plan work activities
- 5+ years of experience managing projects.
- MBA or PMP certification is desired
- Proven experience in management & administrating terms of project contracts by developing a project plan.
- Proven experience in management & evaluation of equipment purchases and suppliers and subcontractors for cost and schedule.
- Experience with quality control protocols during project execution.
- Able to read, understand & evaluate P&IDs
- Able to read and understand customer specifications
- Uses Feedback to modify designs.
- Proactively supports continuous improvement process (CIP) of the product line by developing alternative options for mutual gain by recommending changes & improvements
- Effectively delegates project tasks to the project team
- Manages and administers terms of project contracts
- Manage execution of sold projects ensuring customer deliverables are completed on time per the agreed schedule
- Lead effort to ensure established quality control protocol is maintained relative to project execution
- Prioritize, organize and effectively manage project team's work
- Assists Business Development and Engineering with technical decisions and scope of project execution
- Provides leadership to the project execution team
- 5+ years of experience with specification of equipment such as reactors, tanks, heat exchangers pumps, vessels and process simulation.
- Ability to gather data, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of process instrumentation, control valves, and control loops
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative, work independently and in a team environment.
- Able to work in a general office and desk environment.
- Sitting and working at a desk for long durations.
- Working on a computer for long durations.
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.