Mayer Brown LLP is a leading global law firm with offices in 26 key business centers across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are a collegial, collaborative and diverse firm where highly motivated individuals with an unwavering commitment to excellence receive the opportunity, support and development they need to grow, thrive and realize their greatest potential.
If you enjoy working with team members whose defining characteristics are achievement, initiative, professionalism, responsiveness and adaptability, you may be the person we are seeking to join our Paralegal department, in Chicago, as a Property Tax Paralegal.
• Prepare and file appeals before the Cook County Assessor, Cook County Board of Review, Illinois Circuit Court, and Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board
• Manage a property tax database and appeal filing deadlines; requiring strong working knowledge of Treasurer, Clerk, and Recorder of Deeds offices and procedures relating to real estate taxation
• Advise attorneys on unique rules and filing requirements; identify, review and analyze relevant state and local tax laws and regulations; advise attorneys and clients on rule changes and the impact of those changes
• Conceptualize and prepare client reporting materials, including design of multi-year tax and assessment summaries that include specific data important to each client for analysis of their business; participate in business development and client relations initiatives including preparation of presentations and meetings with clients
• Oversee workflow and prioritize deadlines; must possess specialized industry experience, with ability to assist lawyers in complex property tax matters; ability to monitor multiple electronic and print sources for new regulations and laws that impact practice and clients
• Assess needs of practice group and clients to develop and manage the practice group’s tracking systems which include: managing evidence, data, filing and evidence submission deadlines; client and property information, jurisdictional filing deadlines, appeals, court and evidence submission dates; identify ways practice group must adapt to changing rules and technology administrative judicial bodies
• Bachelor's degree required
• Paralegal certificate from ABA approved paralegal program preferred
• Solid computer skills; knowledge of and experience using MS Word, Outlook Calendar, Access, Excel and PowerPoint required
• Minimum 6 years of experience working in a law firm or major property tax consulting firm or otherwise have requisite experience in the public sector.
• Experience preparing and filing appeals before the Cook County Assessor, Cook County Board of Review, Illinois Circuit Court, and Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board
• Experience preparing and filing Assessor and Board of Review appeals throughout Illinois
• Must possess expertise in jurisdictional tax laws and rules
• Proven ability to calculate assessments, market values, unit values, and taxes; and to read, comprehend, and interpret County records, forms and data
• Familiarity with the Illinois property tax system at all level of appeals required
• Familiarity with local Assessor, Treasurer, Clerk and Recorder offices and functions required
• Ability to analyze property tax record cards, legal descriptions, and tax bills
• Ability to calculate taxes, exemptions, and refunds
• Possess advanced knowledge and solid understanding of practice area processes, procedures, rules and regulations
• Strong oral and written communication skills is required
• Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision
• Ability to prioritize and adapt to change as well as work on multiple projects at once
• Ability to maintain confidence of personnel and Firm information
• Effective oral and written communication skills as well as listening and strong attention to details skills
• Ability to interact effectively with Firm personnel at all levels with a high degree of professionalism
• Ability to work late when work requires
• Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits, including medical/dental/vision/life/and AD&D insurance, 401(k) savings plan, back-up childcare and eldercare, generous paid time off (PTO), as well as opportunities for professional development and growth. EOE m/f/d/v/so