Peninsula is division of Parkwest Medical Center Knoxville, TN
Program Counselor, Unit D-PROGRESS CARE
Full Time, 72 Hours Per Pay Period, Night Shift
The Men’s Unit is a 13-bed unit serving male adult patients. Patients treated on this unit are experiencing acute symptoms of their disease which require more intensive monitoring. The floor plan of the acute unit allows for this increased monitoring. This is an exciting unit where you will be exposed to patients dealing with a variety of psychiatric symptoms including depression, anxiety, and psychosis. Staff may also work on other units in the hospital, offering the opportunity to work with many different types of patients. The care team consists of physicians, nurse practitioners, therapists, discharge planners, registered nurses, psychiatric technicians, and others who work together to develop a comprehensive treatment outline and care plan. We have a great team who work together to provide excellent care for our patients in a safe, therapeutic environment. This unit creates a 6-week schedule which is released two weeks before the schedule starts. Staff preferences are considered and may be accommodated when they align with the overall staffing needs of the unit and facility.
Position Summary: Responsible for quality patient care by providing supervision and guidance for the patients as well as maintaining a safe and therapeutic patient environment.
Job Preview: Provide care for individuals with mental or emotional conditions or disabilities, following the instructions of physicians and/or registered nurses.
- Monitor patients’ physical and emotional well-being and report to nursing,
- Provide on-going support, supervision and guidance for patients
- Maintain a safe and therapeutic patient care environment
- Ensure patient’s basic needs are met.
Career path for the role?
- Can grow with further education to a Licensed Practical Nurse, Registered Nurse, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist
- When eligible may take the national Psychiatric Technician certification exam that qualifies for the annual certification bonus and furthers professional growth
There are Senior PC and PC Team Leaders positions that can be applied for after appropriate experience is obtained.
Important Behavioral Traits
- Compassion & Empathy
- Interpersonal communication & relationship skills
- Observational skills
- Verbal communication skills
Preferred: Bachelors in psychology, sociology, social services, anthropology, theatre, liberal arts majors, biology/pre-med (or working towards it); some postsecondary educational experience
Minimum Education: High School/GED Required. Bachelors or working toward a degree in psychology or social services and/or experience working with adults in a behavioral health setting preferred.
Licensure Requirement: CPR Required.