Location: Dallas, TX
Duration: 13 Weeks
Location: Dallas, TX
Duration: 13 Weeks
- Provides assistance and monitoring of patient activities and procedures, under the direction of a registered nurse, ensuring a safe and secure environment for both patients and employees.
- Must have Psychiatric Technician vocational training through a recognized organization, OR,
- Have a Bachelor degree in Psychology or Social work - Psychiatric technician experience not required.
- In lieu of vocational training, must have one year of experience as a Psychiatric Technician or Residential Treatment/Group Home worker, OR,
- A nursing student who has had Psychiatric clinical rotation, OR,
- A UAP with Psychiatric experience.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience
- May have an equivalent combination of education and experience to substitute for both the education and the experience requirements.
- Must have a current Heartsaver CPR course completion card within 90 days of hire and/or placement in job from one of the following:
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross Rescuer
- Military Training Network.
- Must have SAMA certification, levels 1-4 or must obtain within 30 days of hire or placement into the job. Must have SAMA certification before first clinical orientation shift.
Required Tests for Placement
Skills or Special Abilities:
- Must be able to demonstrate basic patient care skills and the use of supplies and assigned equipment.
- May be required to handle aggressive patients using Client Management methods.
- Must be able to do some heavy lifting and moving.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with departmental personnel, other hospital personnel, physicians, patients and families.
- Must be able to demonstrate patient centered/patient valued behavior.
- Provides a safe environment for patients, nurses, doctors and others by collecting firearms from patients and officers, scanning patients, securing sharp items, and physically restraining uncooperative patients to minimize the risk of injury to patients, property and others. Monitors and assesses patients' physical and emotional status, applying Client Management procedures as necessary (including the restraining and secluding of patients when appropriate), to provide a safe, stable, environment for all patients.
- Provides direct patient care, including recording vital signs, monitoring patients' dietary intake, monitoring and recording sleep behaviors, to ensure optimal patient healthcare management consistent with the client mission of patient centered/ patient valued care.
- Collects, stores, documents, and secures patient valuables and non-valuables to facilitate the administration of patient services.
- Interviews, counsels, and advises patients of their rights, while establishing and maintaining rapport with the patient.
- Cleans patients, patient possessions, and patient areas to comply with established cleanliness standards.
- Transports patients to and from test locations, and transports medicines and other items to help service patients during their stay.
- Monitors and documents patient behaviors and care given to patients in seclusion, restraint, or on 1:1 to reduce the risk of injury to the patient, and provide a record of the patients' behavior.
- Maintains the confidentiality of patient information obtained in the performance of the job, while adhering to established policies and procedures for communicating patient information, to protect the privacy of the patient.
- Conducts security rounds, inspects patient rooms for contraband, and performs quality management audits, as requested, to ensure the safety of patients and employees.
- Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the mental health field by attending seminars and reading professional journals. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
- Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer (internal as well as external) satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals and mission of the client. Aids management and medical staff with the development of policies and procedures to improve productivity and efficiency.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with management, employees, outside agencies, and other hospitals to ensure effective communication and cooperative working relationships.
- Works directly with Charge Nurse and RN's carrying out special orders and providing assistance to meet the needs of patients.
- Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and client..
- Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
- Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Essential Functions Worksheet
Physical Requirements A: Do the major activities of the job include any of the following?
Requirement Weight (Lbs) How Often Doing What
Carrying 70-90 Weekly Assisting with patients
Dragging 150 Daily Rearranging the bed-box
Holding 70-90 Weekly Assisting with patients
Pulling 150 Daily Rearranging the bed-box
Pushing 150 Daily Rearranging the bed-box
Lifting 70-90 Weekly Assisting with patients
Physical Requirements B: Do the major activities of the job include any of the following?
Requirement How Long (Hrs/Day) How Often Doing What
Sitting 2 Daily Completing patient paperwork,
communicating with patients
As an equal opportunity employer, ICONMA prides itself on creating an employment
environment that supports and encourages the abilities of all persons regardless of
race, color, gender, age,sexual orientation, citizenship, or disability.