Psychiatric Technician to work in the Mental Health Clinic, Naval Health Clinic Cherry Point, Havelock, NC. providing care to America's Active Duty heroes, their families, and retirees. Psychiatric Technician is full-time, Mon - Fri between the hours of 7AM - 6PM.
DUTIES OF THE PSYCHIATRIC TECHNICIAN:
- Demonstrate sound psychiatric nursing theoretical and practical approaches in providing patient care.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding and assist in the management of a therapeutic milieu; providing structure, social support, patient education, safety, and social skills training.
- Conduct or assist in treatment and rehabilitation of patients. Perform initial basic assessment procedures including standardized psychological testing, clinical interviewing, mental status examinations, substance abuse evaluations, and psychological and nursing assessment.
- Monitor, escort, and/or act as a therapeutic participant in patient activities in the outpatient psychiatric clinic and outpatient programs.
- Provide care for patients utilizing proper infection control and safety techniques as planned and/or ordered. Document per clinic policy and notifies the mental health provider in charge of any abnormal or unusual findings in a timely manner.
- Utilize therapeutic assessment and interview skills to elicit accurate and concise accounts of the patient’s condition. Document patient care using proper terminology that is in accordance with policy.
- Utilize sound judgment and crisis intervention skills, including physical restraint, to prevent or reverse situations which may be potentially harmful. Follow clinic specific policies for Seclusion/Restraint, Elopement and Management of the Assaulted patient.
- Exhibit a basic knowledge of psychotropic medications including actions, side effects and common dosages.
- Screen patients to determine presenting problems and priority of appointment. T
- Assist in providing specialized treatment and rehabilitation of mental health patients. Assist in conducting individual and group therapy sessions. Observe, monitor, report, and record patient interaction and progress. Institute precautionary measures to prevent patient injuries due to suicide, homicide, or elopement. Perform verbal and manual restraint and apply mechanical restraints as needed.
- Provide care to mentally ill or emotionally disturbed patients and participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs.
- Present or facilitate a variety of health and wellness programs, including stress management, suicide intervention, and smoking cessation.
- Coordinate with other base agencies and military hospitals regarding specialized care. Contact military or community agencies to obtain collateral information. Assist in or arrange for patient referral to other facilities for alternate level of care.
- Co-facilitate prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of specific therapeutic procedures.
- Possess one of the following:
- Current certification as a Psychiatric Technician by the American Association of Psychiatric Technicians, OR
- Evidence of completion of military psychiatric technician training, OR
- Bachelor's Degree in Psychology or Social Work,
- Possess at least one year full-time experience within the 2 preceding years as either a psychiatric technician or mental health technician.
- Must be a U.S. citizen (for access to Gov't computer systems)
- Competitive pay
- 10 days paid time off per year plus 7 sick days per year
- 10 paid Federal holidays
- Health & Welfare allowance contributes to the cost of health insurance, long and short-term disability, and life insurance
- Dental and vision plans offered, 401(k)
The Arora Group is an award-winning, Joint Commission-certified nationwide healthcare services company that, for almost 30 years, has provided medical care for the men and women who serve our country in the U.S. Armed Forces. Our mission is to provide world-class care and give our healthcare professionals opportunities to improve their skills, learn from the best, and serve the needs of active duty service members, their families, and veterans.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability