CENTERS is a management company that specializes in campus recreation. We partner with universities to manage their departments, facilities, finances, and deliver exceptional customer service. Since 1998, CENTERS remains the first and only mission centric organization committed to student development and departmental excellence on behalf of its clients. CENTERS is currently operating university campus recreation centers at ten site locations within the United States.
The Health, Fitness & Recreation Center at Moraine Valley Community College is a state-of-the-art facility in Palos Hills, Illinois, currently under CENTERS management. This 113,000 square foot building, which opened in March 2014, supports the college’s athletic program, physical education & recreation therapy departments, and new campus recreation department. The fitness center consists of a 15,000 square foot fitness floor including cardiovascular machines, strength equipment and free weight room; 4 group exercise studios, 1/10 mile indoor running track, the Cyclone Center, including 3-court field house with basketball, volleyball, and badminton; 4 lap lane aquatic center including a whirlpool, expansive locker rooms each with a steam room, family changing rooms, Tropical Smoothie Café, a Pro Shop, and open lobby spaces with seating.
Swim instruction for preschool, school age and adult students in group and private lessons.
- Have familiarity with a national learn-to-swim program and other water safety courses and know how to use course materials effectively
- Adapt teaching approaches to the age, experience and ability of participants so they can meet course objectives as set by MVCC Health, Fitness & Recreation Services
- Maintain order and discipline in classes to ensure a safe environment and promote a learning atmosphere
- Demonstrate skills required for class content and use teaching aids such as kickboards, diving rings, lifejackets, etc.
- Communicate regularly with participants to ensure they are aware of their progress
- Attend all mandatory full staff meetings and specific area meetings
- Check email and intranet on a regular basis
- Serve as a role model and maintain a professional attitude to all parents, children and co-workers on and off duty
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Previous experience as a swim coach and/or strong swimming background
- Required to obtain swim instructor certification through Ellis & Assoc upon hire (training will be provided by site)
- Current American Red Cross or American Heart Association CPR/AED required
- Experience in developing swim lesson progressions
- Through understanding of all swimming strokes and skills including ability to demonstrate
- Ability to work with a diverse population of clients
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Moderate to loud noise
- Physical conditioning