Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on January 10, 2020 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."San Mateo County Health's Aging and Adult Services Division is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of Public Authority Community Program Supervisor.
The current vacancy is in the Public Authority (this is not a County position) and will be responsible for overseeing the administration of the Public Authority for In Home Supportive Services (IHSS). The position is located in San Mateo, CA, but may occasionally travel to other areas in the County to perform duties of the position.
NOTE: The Public Authority Community Program Supervisor is not a County position; the Public Authority unit reports to the San Mateo County Director of Aging and Adult Services.
The Public Authority Supervisor is responsible for the administration and oversight of staff and programs within the Public Authority, including: IHSS provider enrollment, Registry services, provider and consumer training, payroll, benefits management and other projects assigned to the Public Authority. This position, in particular, is focused on provider enrollment, training, payroll and benefits operations within the unit. This position reports to the Public Authority Program Services Manager.
- Plan, assign, review and supervise the work of the Public Authority team; train staff and ensure staff professional development; develop individual and team performance.
- Evaluate employee performance, counsel employees and effectively recommend initial corrective action and other personnel decisions.
- Develop and implement program goals.
- Evaluate program needs and recommend and implement necessary changes.
- Manage, audit, and standardize activities within the Public Authority.
- Interpret, plan and implement state mandated programmatic changes.
- Interpret and enforce state and local laws, ordinances, regulations and contracts.
- Collect and analyze information, draw sound conclusions and prepare effective recommendations.
- Track data and adhere to Lean/Leap program improvement objectives.
- Prepare a variety of special and periodic reports.
- Represent the Public Authority, Aging and Adult Services and San Mateo County with the State, contractors, service providers, community organizations and other groups.
- Provide program information, meet with and make presentations to local, regional and state officials and community organizations.
- Keep current on developments in the homecare field through participation in professional organizations, attending training programs, and reviewing current legislation.
- Confer with management on significant program issues, needs, conflicts, problems and accomplishments.
- Facilitate team meetings.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience supervising staff, assigning duties and tasks, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Experience leading a team of staff whose work assignments are in varied areas.
- Familiarity with the laws, rules, regulations and procedures governing the Public Authority.
- Demonstrated skill to organize and be able to plan and implement various service programs under the Public Authority.
- Experience with payroll and benefits processes.
- Experience establishing and implementing training programs.
- Ability to analyze and problem solve exercising sound judgment in decision-making.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Experience as a representative or liaison of their organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The Public Authority (PA) was established by the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors in 1993 for the purpose of administering the provider components of the County of San Mateo's In Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program. The IHSS Program provides homecare services to Medi-Cal eligible individuals who are aged, blind or disabled to assist them to remain safely in their homes as an alternative to out-of-home care. The Public Authority is advised by the Public Authority Advisory Committee, which is an advisory board appointed by the Board of Supervisors, with a majority of the membership being designated for current or past consumers of personal care assistance.
The Public Authority serves as the employer of record for IHSS workers, with the IHSS consumer retaining the right to hire, fire and train their worker. The Public Authority's responsibilities include operating a Registry that recruits, screens and refers potential home care providers to IHSS consumers needing personal assistance in their home; screening the backgrounds of IHSS providers in accordance with IHSS policies and regulations; providing training opportunities to IHSS providers to enhance their skills in serving IHSS consumers; and offering support and assistance to Registry consumers and providers to ensure the employer-employee relationship between the Registry consumer and provider are functioning well. In San Mateo County, the Public Authority also provides personnel and payroll services for IHSS providers, maintaining the payment and employment records for approximately 6000 IHSS workers, troubleshooting issues with timecards and payment, conducting employment verifications, and responding to subpoenas of employment records. The unit also currently administers the health and COBRA benefits for IHSS workers.