"Opportunities start here" is more than a slogan at Matanuska-Susitna College (Mat-Su College); it is our mission. Our aim is to transform student aspirations into realities. Matanuska-Susitna College seeks applicants who possess a desire to help students succeed in reaching their goals.
Mat-Su College is a community campus of the University of Alaska Anchorage. The campus is located on 951 acres in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, the fastest growing region of Alaska. We serve as a major higher education hub for the communities of Wasilla and Palmer. Our student-friendly campus offers small class sizes and state-of-the-art facilities, including paramedic classrooms with a fully equipped ambulance bay, updated science labs, and a new 520-seat performing arts theater, the first in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. The campus has an annual operating budget of nearly $11,000,000 and employs nearly one hundred full-time faculty and staff and more than one hundred adjunct instructors to serve approximately 2,000 students each semester.
• Knowledge of inclusive communications best practices, including online ADA accessibility standards.
• Demonstrated initiative and creativity.
• Ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
• Ability to communicate clearly in person, by phone, and via written communication.
• Ability to edit and evaluate content for accuracy, consistency, and clarity.
• Ability to select graphics and words to explain complex processes in a simpler way.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment to assess situations and make decisions.
• Ability to work as part of a team and contribute recommendations, training, and technical assistance.
• Advanced technical skills in using one or more desktop publishing software applications, e.g. Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Photoshop, or similar.
• Knowledge of social media marketing.
• Preference given to candidates skilled in designing and maintaining web pages and producing web content and visuals.
• Preference given to candidates skilled in writing engaging content describing academic degrees, student activities programming, and higher ed public events.
• Experience managing projects.
• Experience participating effectively in inter-departmental teams.
• Experience in event planning, coordination, and evaluation.
• Experience developing communication plans and promoting special events.
• Experience researching content for collateral materials.
• Demonstrated applicable experience in persuasive and informative writing.
• Demonstrated graphic design experience producing print, multimedia, web, video, and collateral materials targeted toward specific public relations and communication goals.
• Demonstrated experience in web design and management.
Required Education Or Training:
Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, marketing, communications, English, social science, or related field, plus two years relevant experience.
Training and experience equivalent to the above.
This is a full-time, Grade 78, ($23.84/hour minimum) 12-month position, completed with a competitive salary and UA employee benefits package. UA employees receive excellent benefits including participation in State of Alaska PERS retirement, 12 paid holidays per year, tuition waivers for employees and eligible family members, and affordable medical, dental and vision care coverage.
To ensure consideration, please complete the University on-line application and upload the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Reference List (Provide three or more professional references with current contact information, including job titles, telephone numbers, and email addresses).
*A preliminary review of applications will begin November 2, 2020 and will continue until this recruitment is closed.
** Important Notice: Face-to-face interviews will be conducted using Zoom. Position is not eligible for relocation benefits.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.