Public Safety Emergency Communications Specialist (Emergency Call Taker/Dispatcher)
This position is assigned to the Department's Emergency Communications Center (ECC) which is located in Gaithersburg and Rockville, Maryland. The Communications Specialist is responsible for delivering quality emergency communication services to the public, as well as providing accurate and timely dispatch support to police officers and fire rescue personnel. The Communications Specialist has a unique responsibility in a fast-paced environment that requires careful attention to detail, multi-tasking, and good communications skills. Major duties include answering 9-1-1 emergency calls, and dispatching police officers and fire rescue personnel to respond to calls, using a computer system known as (CAD) Computer Aided Dispatch.
This position has a very extensive upward mobility career ladder as indicated below:
SALARY EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 9, 2018:*
Salary range for PSECS I: $41,047 - $67,066
Salary range for PSECS II: $44,743 - $73,633
Salary range for PSECS III: $49,000 - $80,871
Salary range for PSECS IV: $51,305 - $84,762
Salary range for Senior PSECS: $53,738 - $88,849
Employees will receive Proficiency Advancement to Public Safety Emergency Communications Specialist (PSECS) II (grade 17) after achieving check-off as a multi-discipline public safety call taker with at least five (5) months experience as a PSECS I with a 10% increase in salary.
Employees will receive Proficiency Advancement to Public Safety Emergency Communications Specialist III (grade 19) after achieving check-off in a single discipline public safety dispatch with at least five (5) months experience as a PSECS II with a 10% increase in salary.
Employees will receive Proficiency Advancement to PSCS IV (grade 20) after achieving check-off in all disciplines public safety dispatch with at least fourteen (14) months experience as a PSCS III with a 5% increase in salary.
Employees will receive Proficiency Advancement to Senior Public Safety Emergency Communications Specialist (grade 21) after 24 months as a PSECS IV with a 5% increase in salary.
Montgomery County Government offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Potential for 23% salary increase after first year
- Paid training
- Bonus pay for trainers
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision/ Life Insurance/ and Prescription Drug Plans
- 401(k) and Deferred Compensation Plans
- Paid Holidays, Accrued Sick, Annual, and Compensatory Leave
- Paid Military Leave for Training Purposes (15 days per year)
- Personal Leave
- Pay Differential for evening and midnight Shifts
- Multilingual pay upon certification
- All uniforms furnished (cleaning and alteration provided)
- Tuition assistance for continuing education
- Promotional opportunities
- Employee assistance programs
- Medical catastrophe benefits/Workman’s compensation insurance
- Meal reimbursement program
- Credit Union
- Schedule Options
- Cost of Living Wage Adjustment (COLA)
- May advance to "professional level" without degree
*Please note: Salary and benefits are subject to change
APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE ABILITY TO
- perform work assignments at different work locations when required;
- work holidays, weekends and shifts during days, evenings or midnight's;
- accept last minute changes in their schedule and work mandatory overtime;
- work under close supervision, and daily evaluation of performance, especially during training;
- demonstrate good customer service skills including dealing calmly and respectfully with irate and angry customers over the phone; and
- work under constant electronic surveillance as all telephone conversations and radio messages will be recorded.
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications confirmed by OHR/Police will be scheduled for written examination. All who pass the written examination will be scheduled for computerized examination. All who pass the computerized examination will be scheduled for structured interview. As a result of structured interview applicants will be rated Well-Qualified, or Qualified. Well-Qualified applicants will be placed on the eligible list.
All applicants must successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation, psychological evaluation, medical examination and drug/alcohol screen. Additionally, each applicant will be scheduled to observe a full performance Public Safety Emergency Communications Specialist for two (2) hours in the Emergency Communications Center.
HOW TO APPLY
- Click on the how to apply tab
- Create an account
- When searching after registration/log in
- Click on the search jobs tab at the top left
- Click on the public safety category
- Select Public Safety Emergency Communications Specialist - Grade 15
- Then if logged in, there will be an apply now button at the top right of the job posting.
Paid training, pay differential for evening and midnight shifts, bonus pay for trainers etc.