HarperOne, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers is currently seeking a Publicity Manager to manage campaigns for a variety of titles within the HarperOne Group. The position is based in San Francisco and requires someone skilled at building and maintaining media relationships, author relationships, and executing media campaigns and book tours.
HarperOne publishes books for the world we want to live in—our core categories include spirituality, social change, health and healing, personal growth, the environment, religion, and science and technology.
- Works to publicize books and authors in various genres including spirituality, religion, personal development, healthy living, business, and mindfulness.
- Secures and schedules interviews with national broadcast, print and online media, as well as local market and media.
- Schedules author events at bookstores and off-site events involving third party partners.
- Ensures strong relationships with existing authors and builds relationships with potential future authors.
- Actively develops and maintains media contacts, including national, regional, local and online.
- Acts as an ambassador and influencer to the media, agents, authors and others to reinforce the reputation of HarperCollins as a major, innovative publisher.
- Briefs authors on how to prepare for and communicate key messages in interviews.
- Writes press releases, pitch letters, and other materials relating to a book’s campaign.
- Works closely with marketing, editorial, and other departments.
- A minimum of 4-5 years of prior work experience in publicity with an emphasis placed on booking national media in both traditional and digital outlets and author events
- Possesses knowledge and understanding of the publishing process, relationships with a wide range of producers and reporters and experience securing high impact press coverage
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of the media and a familiarity with book reviewers, magazine editors, and bloggers
- A proven ability to generate creative story ideas, pitch angles and pitches
- Experience working with nonfiction lifestyle books preferred
- An understanding of the digital media space, including bloggers and social media
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative team environment
- Extensive knowledge of the media and a familiarity with media producers, editors, and bloggers
- Excellent communication skills, including exceptional writing skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- A college degree or equivalent experience
HarperCollins Publishers is a company full of people who are passionate about books. When you apply for a position, we want to know why you want to work here, and why you are interested in the job. That’s why cover letters are strongly preferred.
HarperCollins Publishers is an equal opportunity employer.