Zentis is Europe's number one fruit processing company and one of the leading brand manufacturers of jams, sweets and custard-based desserts. Our manufacturing facility, located in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, produces value added fruit and dairy preparations for a variety of customers including yogurt, ice cream and bakery manufacturers.
The QA Manager provides hands on leadership of food safety and quality assurance systems to ensure compliance with general regulations as well as FSMA, customer requirements and Zentis standards. As an SQF Practitioner, oversee, direct and improve the Safe Quality Food (SQF) system across all products and functional groups.
Make decisions on disposition of ingredients, in-process and finished products. Oversee supplier and customer complaint programs to ensure proper investigation, responsiveness, closure and trending. Interface directly with customers on quality matters including but not limited to alignment on standards, participation in audits, issue resolution and continuous improvement initiatives.
Develop and manage a technical staff to ensure adherence to all quality system elements. Ensure that all team members are adequately trained and that performance is monitored and continuously improved. Provide additional support as deemed necessary by the VP of QA & Regulatory Affairs.
This is an Exempt position.
- Primary Responsibilities:
- Manage and improve a comprehensive food safety and quality system. Elements include policies, procedures, training, controls, testing, measurements, corrective actions, document control, reporting, and continuous improvement. The scope covers all ingredients and finished products.
- Develop, train, coach, manage and create plans for a technical team. Ensure that roles and responsibilities are clear and communicated. Create an environment in which people want to contribute, grow and exceed expectations.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives through the use of cross-functional teams. Provide comprehensive reporting of complaints, audit results and incidents to enable prioritization of work.
- Interact and partner with customers regarding audits, complaints, incidents and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ensure control of the QA budget through active planning, monitoring and controls
- Support other department and company initiatives as deemed necessary by the VP of QA & Regulatory Affairs.
- Formal Education Required:
BS in Food Science, Process Engineering, Food Processing, Food Engineering or related scientific field or equivalent work experience.
- Specific Experience and Key Knowledge Requirements:
- Minimum of 6-10 years of food processing and quality assurance experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of manager experience
- Knowledge of aseptic and conventional processes, HACCP, and GMP essential.
- Knowledge of fruit preps, frozen desserts, food service, and bakery filling applications are a plus.
- Special Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to communicate effectively internally and with customers and suppliers.
- Interpersonal skills to align efforts across departments to motivate and drive improvement.
- Proficiency in SAP, MS Excel and ability to learn Qualifax.
- Ability to interface with regulators to understand regulations and interpretation of regulations.
- SQF practitioner, HACCP plan development, ability to communicate effectively internally and with customers and suppliers.