The Quality Assurance Manager - Factory is responsible for ensuring products produced in each plant meet the standards set by Heartland Food Products Group and regulatory authorities. The role ensures alignment of the quality systems between the plants, while ensuring the highest level of commitment to Safe Quality Food in order to provide assurance that all products have been produced, prepared and handled according to the standards of Heartland Food Products Group, SQF and Regulatory Authorities. This position actively participates in training and continuous improvement projects.
Essential Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Assure regulatory compliance, adherence to GMPs and an effective food safety program. Factory leadership for regulatory interactions.
- Ensure implementation of the plant quality systems in alignment with corporate guidance.
- Via the Plant Quality Supervisors, standardize the approach to the implementation and maintenance of the Plant Quality Programs including the development, implementation and maintenance of the Quality Monitoring Schemes
- Supports daily operations, focusing on delivering business, customer and consumer expectations, at the right cost and on time and in full
- Compile and review data for trends and deviations followed by reporting execution of corrective and preventative measures (CAPA).
- Identify root cause in quality, production and other areas as needed to reduce or eliminate deviations.
- Collaborate with others in the company to improve the quality of the products while implementing methods for reducing the cost
- Provide support for all internal and external audit activities.
- Develop, revise and initiate standards and methods for inspection, sampling, testing and evaluation as part of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Provide leadership in maintaining effective communication between the Quality and Production departments through collaboration with the Plant Managers.
- Assist with the creation of succession and development plans for the plant quality team.
- Develop and Maintain SOPs to support the company’s quality systems.
- Active member of the factory HACCP and Food Safety teams.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Chemical Engineer, or related field is preferred
- 10+ years of food processing experience required; at least 6 years in a manufacturing environment under FDA and HACCP
- Experience in the management of Thermal Processing and Aseptic Processing is required. Food plant sanitation experience is preferred.
- Comprehensive experience with SQF Code, FDA Rules and Regulations
- Be a Critical thinker, has experience with process improvement but is also results-oriented
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop team with direct and indirect reporting
- Analytical skills and demonstrated problem solving/corrective action/resolution skills
- Must be able to work independently and have strong demonstrated leadership, interpersonal and self-initiative skills
- Ability to develop and implement strategic objectives
- Self-motivation and ability to work with people at all levels of the organization
- Must work successfully with cross functional departments within and outside the organization and build effective relationships
- Excellent organizational and project management skills a must
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be able to physically perform the functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions
- Must be able to work seated using a computer and phone for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work extended hours, such as daily overtime and an occasional weekend
- Must possess visual acuity to document company records
- Continuous walking throughout plant and distribution center.
- Lifting up to 40 pounds