Job Summary: Provide support to assigned project(s) for the development, management, and implementation of a space flight system’s project mission assurance program. The mission assurance program includes the product assurance, process control, quality assurance, software assurance, configuration management, parts and materials control, contamination control, system safety, reliability, AS9100 compliance, requirements and design review, and flight assurance aspects of the project.
- Serve as a System Assurance Manager (SAM) supporting one or more space flight projects ensuring quality and system assurance requirements are defined and implemented, and are in compliance with sponsor and APL requirements. Direct and/or perform software quality, supplier management, configuration management, inspection, audits, and other mission assurance activities on assigned projects.
- Lead the mission assurance effort for a space flight system. Provide direction to subject matter experts supporting the mission assurance team.
- Develop trusted relationships with project Sponsors, project management, engineering, fabrication, and integration and test work cells. Provide mission assurance guidance and direction to those entities.
- Document and implement project-specific mission assurance plans for space flight systems.
- Review project-specific plans and technical documentation to ensure compliance with contractual and institutional mission assurance requirements.
- Perform inspections of flight hardware to ensure conformance with applicable technical and workmanship requirements.
- Disposition nonconformances affecting space flight systems.
- Perform tasks related to the day-to-day support of Sponsored space flight programs, including spacecraft integration, test, and launch. Coordinate inspections, quality engineering support, configuration management requirements, and related assessments and audits.
- Develop, improve, and maintain project requirements processes and documentation, and quality management system processes and documentation.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent training, certification, and experience in an engineering or related technical discipline.
- 3+ years of experience in safety or mission assurance as applied to systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and solve problems quickly within demanding schedules.
- Ability to identify cause of problems and implement timely technical solutions.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, be positive, flexible, and have demonstrable sound technical and professional judgment.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Desired Qualifications: Must be familiar with NASA, IPC, or MIL requirements for space flight hardware. Hands on experience in spacecraft integration and test. Current or recent NASA and IPC workmanship inspection certifications (J-STD-001FS, NASA-STD-8739,1A, and NASA-STD-8739.4). Experience with the life-cycle processes associated with the development of space flight hardware and software. AS9100 experience.
Special Working Conditions: This position will require travel and the ability to work in clean rooms. Long hours and weekend work may be required.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.