This position is responsible for compliance to customer-specific requirements. The position is accountable for the Quality System and provides the leadership necessary to drive the Worthington Industries and Quality Philosophies throughout the organization. The candidate will develop and implement new processes to achieve evolving business objectives. Position is responsible for implementing the QMS across the organization, managing support activities and ensuring data integrity. Position drives initiatives to reduce COQ and PPM.
- Validates quality system effectiveness through direct customer contacts.
- Uses statistical methods and other appropriate techniques to evaluate process capability, define improvement, and monitor process outputs.
- Monitors and reports on vendor changes or new vendor quality characteristics.
- Manages, measures and improves customer quality.
- Leads continuous improvement of quality systems to prevent defects, reduce process variation and eliminate waste.
- Implements procedures to prevent claims from reoccurring.
- Develops and implements process measurement and control systems for all production processes.
- Ensures adequate mistake-proofing and process controls implemented for defect free production.
- Manages vendor claims and maintain claims being current (30days) with vendor.
- Maintains and gives approval for customer claims on a weekly basis.
- Reviews all claims in weekly staff meeting.
- Works closely with outside sales in processing claims and writing corrective actions.
- Reviews problem status, customer claims, and internal and external problems for elimination of root causes.
- Solves issues pertaining to rejections picked up, customer demands, rework, and TM or CSR requests.
- Drives costs down through quality by determining the most efficient cost effective way to make the products.
- Educates employees to make sound processing and raw material selection decisions.
- Ensures compliance with governmental safety and environmental and internal/external regulations and standards for equipment, processes, and services.
- Oversees and maintains integrity of material certifications.
- Provides leadership for team-based problem solving efforts in response to customer complaints and internal scrap and rework issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with Hot Roll processes a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 5 years manufacturing/quality experience
- Steel/Cylinder processing experience
- Knowledge and demonstration of APQP and LEAN Methods (PPAP, Control Plans, FMEA, SPC, GD&T, Root Cause Analysis, Poka Yoke, standard work).
- Demonstrated leadership and management capabilities
- Ability to advocate for product and process excellence
- Ability to lead projects and communicate effectively; verbally and through written reports
- Ability to work with multiple levels of personnel with multiple departments within the organization
- Proficiency in materials application and processing
- Knowledge in Quality Systems- IATA, etc.
- LEAN certification preferred
- ASQ in Quality Systems preferred
Worthington Industries operates under a long-standing corporate philosophy rooted in the Golden Rule, with earning money for its shareholders as the first corporate goal. As a market leader in metals manufacturing for nearly 60 years, we put people first, whether they’re our employees, shareholders, customers or suppliers. We’re looking for individuals who share our people-first philosophy and can help us continually innovate and grow through their insights, leadership and unique talents.
Worthington Industries (NYSE: WOR) is a global metals manufacturer serving growing end markets including automotive, construction, energy, agriculture, alternative fuel and many other markets. Our family of 10,000 employees in over 80 facilities throughout 10 countries has helped us earn the respect of our customers, our communities and our industry. With sales of approximately $ 3 billion annually, our company has been recognized by FORTUNE magazine as a “Most Admired Company” and four times as a “100 Best Companies to Work For.”
Worthington Industries Inc., and its subsidiaries, is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered regardless of race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, disability or veteran’s status.