Metals USA Plates & Shapes, Inc - Ambridge, PA
Position Title: Location Quality & Safety Manager
Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Schedule: 1st Shift
The Location Quality & Safety Manager is responsible for developing and implementing quality assurance policies and systems, monitoring quality assurance processes. The Quality & Safety Manager is responsible for ensuring that quality standards are met. The Quality & Safety Manager is responsible for monitoring the working conditions of the entire facility to ensure that all activity is compliant with local, states and federal safety regulations. The Location Quality & Safety Manager enforces company health and safety guidelines, inspects workspaces and products to ensure compliance with safety standards and provides workplace safety training.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Executes and implements the administration of the facility's quality assurance/controls policies and practices in accordance with stated company objectives and American Society and Testing Materials (ASTM), American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) standards.
* Implements the internal quality program and interfaces with vendors, suppliers and customers on quality issues.
* Assesses the quality of material delivered by vendors.
* Manages corrective action program, performs corrective actions for quality related problems internally and for external customers.
* Serves as management's representative for quality and environmental reporting purposes.
* Serves as management's representative for government contractors and sub-contractors' audits, and prepares and submits corrective action reports to resolve defective audit findings.
* Maintains a high level of interaction with Operations, Purchasing and Sales to ensure that quality standards are properly executed.
* Achieves quality assurance operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to strategic plans and reviews; prepares and completes action plans; implements production, productivity and quality standards; identifies and resolves problems; completes audits, determines system improvements and implements change.
* Executes and maintains a strong quality assurance culture. Collaborates with managers to identify quality concerns.
* Meets or exceeds quality assurance financial objectives by estimating requirements, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions.
* Develops quality assurance plans by conducting hazard analysis, identifying critical control points and preventive measure, establishing critical limits, monitoring procedures, corrective actions and verification procedures and monitoring inventory levels.
* Validates quality processes by establishing product specifications and quality attributes, measures production, documents evidence and determines operational and performance qualification, writes and revises quality procedures as required.
* Establishes and maintains department records and reports. Participates in administrative meetings as required.
* Maintains and improves product quality by completing product, company, system, compliance and surveillance audits; investigates customer complaints; collaborates with other departments (production, sales and purchasing) as needed.
* Prepares quality documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends including failed processes, stability studies, corrective actions and re-validations.
* Establishes programs to educate, train and update personnel on quality control procedures; develops and maintains a quality control manual.
* Facilitates compliance with Occupational Health and Safety (OSH) guidelines. Implements OSH policies and develops program to ensure enforcement of ISH policies.
* Trains employees in all safety procedures and ensures daily adherence of procedures. Leads and manages the required daily, weekly and monthly trainings.
* Designs methods for appraising safety conditions in the warehouse and office.
* Inspects working conditions and equipment to ensure all products and activities are compliant with safety guidelines as required by OSH and RSAC.
* Directs accident investigation procedures, investigates safety violations, determines root causes, maintains records of safety-related incidents and proposes corrective actions.
* Collaborates with managers to monitor compliance and safety issues; intervenes in unsafe activities and operations.
* Oversees the use of dangerous chemicals, machinery and determines potential safety risk.
* Conducts risk assessment and enforces preventative measures.
* Coordinates with HR to set-up new employee on-boarding safety process.
* Oversees workplace repair, installations and any other work that could harm employees' safety.
* Suggests revisions to production schedules and employee activity that does not meet health and safety codes.
* Orders safety gear and supplies for the workplace.
* Facilitates emergency drills as required to gauge employee readiness.
* Consults with management regarding the implementation of new safety procedures as mandated by the company, local, state and federal agencies.
* Assists HR with the workers compensation claim investigation and management.
* Assists HR and legal departments to address any health and safety related lawsuits.
* Complies with company and OSHA safety policies and safe work practices.
* Liaises with and reports to official regulatory bodies on OSH matters.
* Forges relationships with all department managers and supervisors and hourly employees.
* Regular and predictable attendance is required to effectively perform the duties of a Location Quality & Safety Manager.
* Adheres to the Reliance Steel and Aluminum's Code of Conduct as well as employee confidentiality requirements.
* Professional Certificate in Quality Audit Management Systems
* Professional Certificate in Supplier Delegated Inspections
* Professional Certificate in Regulatory Affairs and Quality Assurance
* Current and valid driver's license in good standing
* Current and valid OSHA forklift certificate
* Current and valid overhead crane certificate
* Current and valid aerial platform certificate
* OSHA 30 Hour Certificate
* Current and valid NFPA 70E Arc Flash Certificate
Occupation requires being sedentary less than or equal to 50% of the time (< 4 hours per day)
* Sitting, standing, hearing, talking, handling/fingering, reach outward, reach above shoulder, walk, climb, squat or kneel, bend
* Frequently lift, push, pull to 50 -100 pounds
* Use of extension ladders, aerial lifts with harness
* Regularly required to work on multiple concurrent tasks with constant interruptions
Other Physical Demands:
Must wear the proper protective equipment (PPE)
* Steel-toed shoes
* Hard hats with helmet light with chin strap must be worn at all times while in the production plant
* Protective eye-wear
* Hand protection
* Arm guards / sleeves
* Hearing protection if required by the hearing conservation program
* Fast-paced, moderately stressful, constantly changing day to day work environment
May be exposed to some of the following working conditions.
* Work is performed in a temperature controlled office environment
* Exposure to environmental temperature changes hot & cold when inside industrial warehouse
* Moderate to Loud noise levels
* Constant work environment change depending upon phone activity and warehouse safety inspections
* Oils, dust, fumes and metallic particles
* Exposure to moving mechanical parts or chemicals
* Bachelor Degree in Industrial Quality Management, and/or Masters of Metallurgical Engineering or Chemical Engineering
* Minimum of 5 -7 years of related experience as a Quality Assurance Manager in a manufacturing/industrial plant is required. Multi-plant experience is required.
* Minimum of 5 years of quality management experience in manufacturing
* Associates Degree or Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Safety Management or related field preferred.
* OSHA certification is required.
* Previous work experience in health and safety field is preferred.
* Exhibits knowledge of appropriate emergency protocols
* Demonstrates broad knowledge of local, state and federal safety guidelines for the workplace
* Demonstrates the ability to remain calm and cool-headed in an event of an emergency
* Must possess the ability to analyze, troubleshoot and perform inspections on products daily.
* Ability to examine and re-engineer operations, procedures and assist with the development of new initiatives.
* Ability to read English (to review and comprehend quality assurance reports, schematics/blueprints, quality procedures and policy manuals).
* Must possess basic math skills to measure, calibrate and calculate specifications for quality testing procedures.
* Ability to use specialized tools and machinery to test products.
* Must possess proven leadership and business acumen skills.
* Ability to lead and implement material production, related quality processes (ISO and QS Standards) and quality control.
* Ability to supervise and train staff as needed.
* Must have the ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
* Must have the ability to work with all levels of management and develop critical working relationships
* Must have the ability to communicate oral & written effectively.
* Must have a professional demeanor and ability to communicate with all departments to foster a success-oriented, deadline driven organization.
* Ability to demonstrate professionalism & diplomacy at all times.
* Must have the ability to make timely and sound decisions using good judgment.
* Must have strong organizational, planning, problem-solving and analytical skills.
* Must possess flexibility and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
* Must successfully complete OSHA 30 Hour Safety Certification Training
* Must successfully complete RSAC Reasonable Suspicion Training
* Must have a high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Products
Metals USA offers a competitive starting salary and benefits package
EOE/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled