What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you passionate about your work? Do you dream of working in state-of-the-art facilities with safety culture? Do you want to join a diverse team that serves an organization that supports our national security?
We are seeking a self-directed, customer focused, individual who has strong interpersonal, teaming, leadership, and analytical skills to become to be a PRT Lead. Your principal responsibility is the realization (design through qualification) of ASICs for Nuclear Weapon (NW) modernization programs.
On any given day, you may be asked to:
- Provide leadership to ensure the success of the Product Realization Team (PRT)
- Ensure timely and effective communication with the PRT, the Major Component (MC) and Systems customers, and management as the primary point-of-contact (POC) for the PRT
- Participate in the product realization process, including early engagement in the development phase to define, validate, and clarify requirements for ASICs destined for use in nuclear weapons
- Coordinate with other organizations to negotiate PRT requirements and work
- Identify the resources required to support PRT objectives and collaborating with customers and PRT members to establish work scope and budget;
- Manage resources to ensure on-time, on-budget deliveries meeting quality objectives
- Participate in schedule development using P6 Primavera
- Executing and tracking progress using Earned Value Metrics to measure cost and schedule performance
- Work with the PRT to develop comprehensive design, verification, qualification, and production strategies and effectively documenting and communicate the resulting plans
- Write reports, work issues, document design history, and present results/findings
- Manage the product definition (drawings, specifications, etc.) and analyze data throughout the product life cycle to demonstrate sustained compliance with customer requirements
- Anticipate and manage risks, identifying viable alternates and leading the technical evaluations and decision-making process
- Employ quality management systems and defect prevention techniques throughout the complete realization process (e.g. design for manufacturing, mistake proofing, etc.)
- The ASIC PRT has both Design Agency (DA) and Production Agency (PA) responsibilities. You will focus on DA responsibilities in your role in 5254.
Qualifications We Require
- You have a bachelor’s and an advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in a STEM discipline plus two or more years’ experience; OR a Bachelor's degree in STEM with six years relevant work experience
- Your background includes project management or team leadership experience (developing and managing budgets and schedules; identifying and delegating work to be done and ensuring timely and quality completion)
- You can obtain and maintain a DOE Q security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
Ideally, we would like to see your background include some of the following:
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills, including demonstrated abilities in effective leadership, negotiation, delegation, and conflict resolution in diverse team environments
- Familiarity with one or more of the following integrated circuit processes: design, fabrication, packaging, electrical test, environmental/radiation testing, burn-in, and/or qualification
- Experience in the production and delivery of integrated circuits, including production planning, scheduling, and capacity modeling
- Ability to collaborate with customers and manage expectations
- Familiarity with Sandia's Realize Product Procedures and drawing system
- Formal technical project management training, Project Management Professional (PMP) or Acquisition Professional Development Program (APDP) certification a plus
- Ability and willingness to work flex-time and travel on a periodic basis
- Active DOE security clearance
About Our Team
The NW ASIC Products & CAD/Layout department focuses on the realization and qualification of digital, analog, and mixed signal application specific integrated circuits (ASICs) and programmable products to the nuclear weapons community and on providing IC Layout Design, CAD, and Compute resources. Our programmable products include Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) and Programmable System on Chip (PSoC) devices, new areas for Sandia which can provide advanced capabilities and enhance agility.
The department maintains expertise on the Design Agency (DA) portion of the NW ASIC product realization process, from customer engagement/requirements definition beginning at the Advanced and Exploratory phase all the way through product qualification. We work closely in our DA role with the 5230 Post Fab Technologies group to deliver a qualified and manufacturable product and to support their Production Agency (PA) role. An addition, the department provides Trusted Layout Design capabilities, CAD engineering, and Compute resources for NW and SPP customers across MESA and beyond.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.