James Hardie Research
Our Global Research & Product Development (R&PD) teams are focused on market driven innovation to deliver high impact new products that enable future growth. Our teams provide a continuous pipeline of innovative new products and technologies, while leveraging James Hardie’s core value propositions of durability and low maintenance. Our role is to act as the technology pipeline for the global organization and ensure long-term performance of our products in current and future markets.
The role will focus on understanding and interpreting market driven trends for exterior and interior building aesthetics and translate those for Fiber Cement / Fiber Gypsum products to create a competitive advantage for James Hardie within the Building Construction industry. The successful candidate will provide holistic solutions/needs from the market, incorporating all aspects related to a finished building look.
Additionally, the successful candidate will be also envision non-JH components of the wall assembly that lead to a successful finished aesthetic, incorporating the interaction of JH products with windows and doors, for instance.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for generating 2D and 3D stimuli for garnering customer feedback for shortened iterative cycles for product development to ensure that the greatest unmet needs from the market are being addressed to secure a design leadership position.
- Consult with customers (internal and external) to determine requirements for designs
- Research the various ways a particular product might be used, and who will use it
- Sketch ideas or create renderings, which are images on paper or on a computer that provide a visual of design ideas
- Use computer software to develop virtual models of different designs
- Create physical prototypes of the designs
- Work with specialists, such as scientists and engineers, to evaluate design feasibility from a technical and manufacturing perspective
- Examine materials and manufacturing requirements to determine production costs
- Present designs and demonstrate prototypes to clients (internal & external) for approval
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work with customers to determine unmet market needs and the ability to translate these into product design requirements
- Skilled in drawing, sketching & rendering of architectural subjects
- Knowledgeable in computer-aided design and drafting (CADD), and three-dimensional (design) modeling
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and cooperate with others cross-functionally and globally
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and ability to clearly communicate findings through presentations and reports
- Demonstrated abilities in working with industrial materials, processes and/or manufacturing methods
- Aptitude to analyze results and make recommendations
- Ability to travel as needed
- Results driven, self-disciplined, self-directing, and hold high standard in deliverables
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, architecture, or engineering
- Advanced degree (preferred)
- 8+ years+ industrial experience
- Minimum of 2 years exp working with architects (preferred)
- Some customer facing experience (preferred)
- Some knowledge of building sciences (preferred)
James Hardie is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability. Equal Employment Opportunity is the law.