R&D Wood Scientist
The Sterling R&D team finds solutions to the most difficult engineering challenges across all divisions of the company. Projects are seldom the same and often have little to no precedent. We’re seeking a versatile,experienced wood scientist who will help drive enhancements in the current Sterling products and processes and develop innovative design concepts for emerging product lines.
The R&D Wood Scientist must be task-oriented, extremely adaptable and possess exceptional, out-of-the-box problem solving ability. This position will lead critical R&D projects through the product development stage-gate process and will report tour Director of R&D. As a R&D Wood Scientist in our rapidly growing enterprise, you will be on the fast track to becoming a R&D Project Lead.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS &RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Manage all phases of the PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT STAGE-GATE PROCESS including:
• Research new technologies and markets for long range expansion initiatives.
• Assess high-level business case.
• Identify necessary technical requirements, restraints, specifications& certifications.
• Establish cost targets, supply/manufacturing strategy, marketing/sales strategy.
• Create and manage project timeline.
• Engineer solutions, produce prototypes, obtain samples.
• Determine sourcing, tooling, cost monitoring and test plan.
TESTING / VALIDATION
• Execute test plans, manage field studies and validate certification actions.
• Process data and analyze results.
• Iterate through scope, development and testing phases until project outcomes are confirmed.
DEPLOYMENT / COMMERCIALIZATION
• Integrate new products and processes into all facets of the organization, including supply chain, finance, manufacturing and construction services.
• Act as subject matter expert for the marketing/sales organization.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS &EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science in Wood Sciences
- Minimum of 3 years experience
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Subject matter expertise in wood characteristics and behavior, mass timber products etc.
- Represent company in technical organizations, trade shows and sales demos.
- Proven leadership and collaboration skills with the ability to effectively supervise, coach, and influence employees, vendors and service providers.
- Strong analytical skills to analyze complex business processes and identify risk in high visibility, and high stress situations; quickly and accurately apply sound, well-balanced reasoning to each decision.
- Ability to identify opportunities to increase accuracy, optimize resources, and develop, recommend, and implement solutions.
- Strong time and project management skills with ability to multitask and prioritize workloads.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to present clean, organized and thorough information and data appropriate for intended audience.
- Experience or trainable in forklift operation, wood working equipment and hand tools.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and MS Project; ability to learn and achieve proficiency in new software applications.
Sterling Site Access Solutions is a EEO/AAP employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.