Guggenheim is seeking an Associate Underwriter to join its real estate debt team reporting to the Investments Team. The individual will join a highly collaborative team responsible for investing and managing real estate debt portfolios for Guggenheim’s clients. The group, with team members in St. Louis, Santa Monica, New York and Atlanta, currently has over $8.0 billion in loans under management. Our client’s real estate debt investments are originated either through related Guggenheim companies or through direct relationships with brokers/borrowers. The ideal candidate will have significant investment experience and a demonstrated ability to review and underwrite potential real estate transactions. Prior experience in Life Company lending is beneficial, but not required.
The candidate will have 2+ years of deep analytical experience in the institutional commercial debt investment business with an emphasis on stabilized non-recourse (Life Company) products. Experience in non-stabilized investments (opportunistic, bridge, and construction loans) would be a plus as well as some experience in equity investments. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a number of internal departments and affiliated businesses. This position will be located in Santa Monica, California.
- Evaluate and underwrite new mortgage investments, assess loan structure and pricing
- Work on internal loan approvals and coordinate closings
- Assist in all aspects of financing due-diligence, including preparation of loan underwriting packages, particularly compile and analyze spreadsheets, provide market research, sponsor and financial statement review, and presentation assistance
- Master spreadsheet and ARGUS modeling skills.
- Assist with existing portfolio assessments in coordination with other team members and provide underwriting support, as needed, on transitional portfolio assets
- Support the business unit on special projects, risk analysis, and industry credit concerns
- High proficiency in software applications for real estate investment analysis including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Argus, and the ability to quickly learn new program applications
- Exceptional math and analytical skills
- Knowledge of non-stabilized debt (permanent, high yield, floating rate and bridge) standards and /or equity experience beneficial
- Team-oriented individual that works well in groups and meets time-sensitive deadlines
- Motivated self-starter with excellent organizational skills, presentation skills, and written and oral communications skills
- College degree (BA/BS) with emphasis in Finance, Accounting, or Economics.
- Expertise in the drafting and use of financial formulas in complex financial spreadsheets, as well as the use of a financial calculator
- 2+ years of working experience in evaluating and underwriting investment risks associated with commercial real estate under various property types and markets.
About Guggenheim Investments
Guggenheim Investments is the global asset management and investment advisory division of Guggenheim Partners, with expertise in fixed income, equity, and alternative strategies. We focus on the return and risk needs of insurance companies, corporate and public pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, endowments and foundations, consultants, wealth managers, and high-net-worth investors. Our team of investment professionals performs rigorous research to understand market trends and identify undervalued opportunities in areas that are often complex and underfollowed. This approach to investment management has enabled us to deliver innovative strategies providing diversification opportunities and attractive long-term results.
About Guggenheim Partners
Guggenheim Partners is a global investment and advisory firm with three primary businesses: investment management, investment banking, and insurance services. We have a track record of delivering results through innovative solutions, with professionals based in offices around the world. Our commitment is to advance the strategic interests of our clients and to deliver long-term results with excellence and integrity. You can learn more about our expertise and values by visiting GuggenheimPartners.com and following us on Twitter at twitter.com/guggenheimptnrs.
To succeed in the Guggenheim culture, candidates must be self-starters and strive for results. We are looking for people who operate as business owners, adhere to the highest standards and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
Guggenheim is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.