At KinderCare Education, we make it our passion to nurture a sense of discovery, joy, and wonder in every child, every day, at every one of our centers. As the nation's leading private provider in accredited early childhood education, we're committed to delivering the highest-quality child care and educational opportunities for families and the dedicated professionals who serve them.
We see the greatness in each child, and we believe teachers can change the world. Every day, our more than 33,000 employees create a world of learning, joy, and adventure for more than 158,000 children. Whether you're in one of our centers or providing support from our headquarters in Portland, Oregon, being a part of the KinderCare family means that you care deeply about positively impacting the lives of children and families through the power of education.
KinderCare Education has three brands to meet the needs of busy families wherever they need us:
- We're in neighborhoods with our KinderCare Learning Centers that offer early childhood education and care for children 6 weeks to 12 years old
- We're at offices with KinderCare Education at Work, our suite of family-focused benefits for organizations to offer to their employees, including on-site and near-site early learning centers, Back-up Care for last-minute child care and Care Select
- And we're at schools with our Champions before and after school programs
The Real Estate Manager role is a Portland based deal maker position at our corporate offices, the National Support Center (NSC). This position is a highly visible role leading the company's growth, 1 of 2 critical strategic initiatives, as such you'll have interaction and exposure to key decision makers and executive leaders in the organization. You'll work closely with the Director of Real Estate and VP of Development as well as other stakeholders in the overall development process. Critical thinking, decision making and working in a collegial environment are cornerstones to the role. Travel will be extensive in this site sourcing and deal making position. Communication skills and relationship building both within the company and with 3 rd parties (landlords, brokers, developers etc.) will be building blocks for success.
Key responsibilities include:
- Primary accountabilities include market planning, site selection, LOI and lease negotiations and providing real estate support throughout the development process across various markets in the US
- Manage and oversee activities of broker networks and preferred developers to ensure strategies and tactics align with company goals and direction
- Responsible for the pipeline management of sites from identification through lease execution. Requires collaboration and leadership of the process with external team members and internal stakeholders including real estate, operations, new center finance, design & construction and growth delivery teams
- Provide support and consults with other brand growth teams including KinderCare At Work, Business to Business and Acquisitions as needed. Provide consultative services to potential and existing corporate clients interested in sponsoring KCE operated child care centers, guiding real estate investment decisions to secure client partnerships
- Periodic assistance to Asset Management with lease renewals and closures and to conduct ongoing asset and portfolio profitability reviews and analyses to drive performance improvements
- Contribute to creation of the real estate strategy and its implementation by providing guidance and intelligence to real estate director in meeting new site goals, at brand and company levels
- As conditions change, assess and revise market plans that drive real estate strategies for both existing operations and new development
- Ensure real estate strategy is integrated into company short and long-range growth and financial plans, including revenues, expenses, capital requirements and resource planning
- Responsible for oversite of implementation and maintenance of all systems, analytical decision support tools, and reporting driving real estate related decisions; includes internal processes and controls, portfolio analyses, new site pro formas, GIS outputs, site approval documents, status updates, and documentation repositories
- Consult with leadership to provide guidance and direction on general real estate matters impacting field operations or facilities, including location attributes, brand standards, and portfolio optimization
- Leverage creativity and knowledge of childcare licensing requirements and ratios and operating and accreditation standards that impact new site development to overcome space constraints and limitations (e.g. placement of playgrounds on balconies or rooftops; youngest age classrooms that must be at grade with proper egress)
- Partner with Design and Construction and Facilities to incorporate design criteria impacts into feasibility studies and provide appropriate feedback
- Advise leadership of effective strategic responses to real estate market trends, and industry and competitor activity
Key desired skills and experience include:
- Bachelor's degree in finance, real estate, economics, or business required; MBA preferred.
- Other real estate credentials such as CCIM, MCR, or various ICSC designations a plus
- Minimum 5 years' experience in deal-making in retail real estate, asset management, brokerage or development
- Experience leading and managing preferred developers and broker networks
- Experience with long range marketing planning and analytics, data-based decision-making, investment metrics, real estate process or other decision points associated with a multi-state development effort
- Detail oriented and understanding of financial analysis / proformas. Comfort working with analytic models and with big data
- Understanding of real estate and economic trends and ability to adapt KCE criteria / goals to drive market share and deliver strong returns on investment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office suits, experience with various GIS platforms (ESRI, Sitewise), lease management and project management software (Lucernex)
- Skilled with lease language structure, interpretation and practical application.
- Ability to travel up to 40%
- Strong executive presence, excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, relationship building and influencing skills
- Ability to celebrate success and learn from failures
- Fosters and enhances relationships. Team first attitude and ability to network across company and industry
- Ability to pivot quickly, juggle multiple priorities and able to deal with conflicting demands of multi-brand environment
- Ability to develop, motivate and inspire a team
- Process flow and efficiency advocate
KinderCare Education is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.