The Jel Sert Company is a family owned business that's been at the forefront of innovation in the food and beverage industry since 1926. For nearly a century, generations of families have enjoyed Jel Sert's products, which include dessert mixes, drink mixes, and freezer bars. The Jel Sert Company’s products are exclusively made in West Chicago, Illinois, with over 1,000 employees sharing the company's passion for creating high quality, high value products. Our portfolio of brands includes owned brands such as Otter Pops, Fla-Vor-Ice, Royal, Wyler’s Light and more, as well as over 30 licensed brands including Skittles, Starburst, Sour Patch Kids, Jolly Rancher, Hostess, Sunkist, Sunny D, Mott’s, Welch’s, Crush, and many more.
The RECEIVING CLERK is responsible for following established procedures in the daily organization of Jel Sert’s shipping process when coordinating the receiving of materials and packages. Additionally, the Receiving Clerk will ensure all required documentation is accurately completed according to Jel Sert's SOP’s.
This position will require the employee to work overtime as needed. Overtime is scheduled based upon individual job responsibilities and the needs of the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Accurately and expeditiously check in drivers and assign dock doors as needed while ensuring all paperwork has been completed by drivers.
- Ensure all required paperwork is present before receiving a load
- Verifies paperwork accuracy vs. goods on COA’s received and counts
- Verifications process using electronic system and up to date share drive
- Communicate with Materials Department regarding any issues related to the loads
- Review incoming orders for both accuracy and potential problems
- May inspect, accept, or reject goods received
- Print and place labels utilizing Form Weigh on load skids and assist with on the dock trailer inspection
- Mark inventory codes on received materials using proper labeling
- Handle the processing of Parcel Deliveries from UPS and Fed Ex and assign locations for internal delivery
- Maintain warehouse inventory on all received ingredients.
- Coordinate material aging audits and conduct cycle counts monthly and quarterly of different ingredients
- UPS / FedEx data entry for outgoing packages
- Print and place labels on packages and prepare required documents such as Packing List, BOL, etc., to ensure proper shipping
- Complete as much as or more volume on 1st shift versus other shifts
- Ability to work off shifts to provide vacation/personal time off coverage as needed
- Attendance is an essential function of this position
- Adheres to any/all SQF Requirements related to this job function
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Must have 1-3 years’ inventory/distribution experience in a fast-paced environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience with MS Excel required and warehouse management system such as EAM, QAD and Form Weigh experience a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Organized, methodical and detailed-orientated
- Basic understanding of warehousing environment
- Good analytical skills: observation, attention to detail, prioritization, and problem solving.
- Capable of working independently as well as in a team based environment
- Computer skills including experience utilizing MS Office
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time, potentially up to 12 hours at a time with breaks, for extended computer, phone, and paper work.
- Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized.
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing: Remaining upright on the feet, particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Pulling: Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires the substantial use of the upper extremities and back muscles.
- Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with whole hand or arm as in handling.
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Feeling: Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; those activities where detailed or important spoken instructions must be conveyed to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and making fine discriminations in sound.
- Repetitive motions: Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform computer work.
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and/or analyzing data and figures; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection of paperwork and computer work.
- The work is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make observations to ensure work is accurate and as requested.
- Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Warehouse and Distribution environment
This is position is a “safety sensitive” position based upon the direct exposure to moving forklifts, semi-trailers and entering trailers.
FOOD SAFETY and QUALITY RESPONSIBILITIES
Follow applicable procedures and work instructions.
Backup Assistant Receiving Supervisor
IMPACT ON JEL SERT SUCCESS
This job ensures accurate inventory and records are kept according to Jel Sert’s policies and procedures.