ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT COVER LETTER WITH RESUME.
The Center for Community Alternatives (CCA) is a leader in the field of community- based alternatives to incarceration. CCA promotes re-integrative justice and a reduced reliance on incarceration through advocacy, services and public policy development in pursuit of civil and human rights.
Position Title: Recovery Volunteer Coordinator (FT)
Direct Supervisor: Project Director, CUSE Center
Job Summary: Utilizing their personal experience, the Volunteer Coordinator works to instill a sense of hope and optimism for persons in recovery. The Volunteer Coordinator will demonstrate a personal belief in recovery, supported employment best practices, and a sincere interest in the welfare of persons in recovery at the CUSE Center. The Volunteer Coordinator will have completed requirements of the Credential Alcohol & Substance Abuse Counselor Trainee (CASAC-T) or Certified Peer Recovery Advocate (CRPA) Training and will have the ability to utilize learned skills to provide mentoring, support and unconditional positive regard to peers, in addition to operational support for the CUSE Center. The Volunteer Coordinator will assist with facilitating trainings and developing peer-led recovery groups and pro-social activities, including supporting the voluntary fellowship of individuals looking to attain and maintain their recovery.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Conduct peer trainings to assist persons to realize their personal goals in employment, education, personal development and volunteer opportunities.
Foster supportive peer relationships with and among the persons enrolled as members of the CUSE Center.
Assist Recovery Outreach Coordinator and other key staff in finding, organizing, scheduling and facilitating recovery-oriented, pro-social activities. Assist program staff with other outreach, as needed.
Conduct active outreach efforts to encourage attendance and participation in recovery oriented, self-help, and pro-social groups.
Become an active participant in the Advisory Council including participating in recovery and pro-social activities, greeting visitors, answering phones, attending meetings on and off site, and representing the CUSE Center at external functions as needed.
Assist with coordinating the CUSE Center’s monthly calendar to reflect feedback and needs of program participants.
Support operational functions within the office including: answering phones, scheduling, collating information packets/minutes, note taking, meeting set up/breakdown for all recovery-group and pro-social activities including peer support, and sober-social activities, etc.
Ensure that all program rules are followed during all peer recovery-group and pro-social activities (on or off site), and that all CUSE Center materials, supplies and facilities used for peer functions are clean, organized, and returned to appropriate storage following use.
Assist with project data collection, complete required paper work in a timely manner, and implement required protocols for the handling of confidential information.
Attend weekly individual supervision and staff meetings.
Attend all mandatory training programs as assigned.
Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Personal experience with involvement in the criminal justice system
- Completion of Credential Alcohol & Substance Abuse Counselor Trainee (CASAC-T) or Certified Peer Recovery Advocate (CRPA) training and evidence of Certification within 6 months of hire
- Associates or Bachelor’s preferred; HS diploma or High School Equivalency (HSE/TASC) within 6 months of hire if able to demonstrate significant relevant experience
- Maintain a vast knowledge of the peer recovery movement, the recovery process and community and recovery resources in Syracuse, NY with understanding of the “Peer-Led/Peer Driven” model and proven cultural competency and commitment to recovery, choice, and empowerment with the ability to establish a trusting relationship with peers.
- Strong written/oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Basic computer skills and willing to learn protocol and communication in an office-based setting
CCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We seek talented, dedicated individuals who possess a strong commitment to CCA’s mission, including those with relevant personal experience in terms of recovery and/or justice involvement.
Employment Type: Full Time
Years Experience: Less than 1 year