- Position Type:
Recreation/Recreation Specialist - General Recreation Programs and Services
- Date Posted:
Belvidere Recreation Center
- Status of Employment:
Full Time, Exempt
$39,573 - $44,500 annual salary depending on qualifications, plus an excellent benefit package.
General Statement Of Duties:
Planning, organization, and supervision of programs, services, facilities, and special events.
Description / Duties:
- Assist with planning, organization, implementation, and oversight of General Recreation programs with an emphasis on facility operation, out of school programs, and special events.
- Oversee management of recreation center.
- Provide direct leadership and supervision to all assigned recreation programs and services.
- Provide developmentally appropriate activities that meet the needs and interests of participants.
- Assist in the development and implementation of long-range plans and strategies. Develop and implement annual goals and objectives.
- Evaluate effectiveness and efficiency of programs and services, making recommendations on introduction or deletion of programs and services.
- Assist in the development and implementation of specific program details consistent with recreation marketing strategy.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a marketing strategy for recreation programs, services, and facilities consisting of appropriate pricing and promotional efforts.
- Recruit, select, train, supervise, and evaluate part time, seasonal/temporary staff and volunteers. Contract with independent contractors and vendors for programs and services as needed.
- Establish a cooperative planning and working relationship with community agencies and organizations.
- Review and prepare costs for program centers of the annual budget.
- Secure alternative funding through grants, sponsorships, and fundraising.
- Purchase, distribute, and maintain proper inventory of all supplies and materials.
- Prepare and maintain management reports and records regarding programs and services.
- Check daily schedule of activities and prepare setup and breakdown of recreation center rooms accordingly.
- Transport program participants and supplies via park district vehicles.
- Schedule facility rental, program, and room use.
- Monitor program registrations and front desk procedures.
- Oversee, reconcile, and deposit daily deposits/batches.
- Oversee vehicle use and safety inspections for General Recreation vans.
- Provide direct leadership with recruitment and placement of volunteers in various programs and events.
- Attend pertinent departmental/park district meetings and in-house training sessions.
- Conduct self in accordance with the policies and procedures as established by the park district.
- Participate in the park district Safety and Training Program to ensure that work performed and services provided are implemented in a safe manner.
- Spot clean Belvidere Recreation Center building on a daily basis including washrooms, kitchen, lobby, and program areas.
- Handle general repair situations arising in the recreation center.
- Complete work orders for major repair situations or when staff support is needed.
- Assist staff and volunteers in performance of their duties.
- Participate and become involved in organizations and/or community meetings whose purpose will be of benefit to the park district operation. Serve on in-house committees.
- Attend seminars and training workshops.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor Degree in Recreation Administration or related field
Minimum one (1) year experience in a recreational setting, preferably in a recreation department, school district, social services agency, or non-profit organization. May be obtained through a combination of seasonal, part time, or temporary positions.
Previous environmental, youth programs, camps, and volunteer recruitment experience preferred.
General Knowledge of recreation, parks, and leisure service field. General knowledge of recreation principles and philosophy. Specific knowledge of youth and out of school programs and services. Specific knowledge of special event program operations. Specific knowledge of facility operations. Thorough knowledge of personnel management. Sound fiscal management.
Valid Driver’s License required.
Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification required within one year. First Aid/CPR/AED certification required within one year. Temporary Food Service Permit required. Babysitter certification required.
40 hours per week. Work schedule may vary and will include regular nights and weekends. May involve additional hours on an as needed basis.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must provide proof of date of birth, copy of driver’s license, driver’s abstract, and verification of education.
- Submit to: reference check, employment verification, state criminal background check, pre-placement physical and drug test, and TB test.
- Submit to random, reasonable cause, and post-accident drug and alcohol testing.
- Successfully complete a six (6) month probationary period.
- Provide verification of Certified Park and Recreation Professional certificate within one (1) year.
- First Aid/CPR/AED certification required within one year.
- Temporary food service permit required.
- Employees are strongly encouraged, but not required, to become residents within the boundaries of the Waukegan Park District.
Open until filled.
Apply online at http://www.applitrack.com/waukeganparks/OnlineApp/