Brighter futures start here. Welcome to BrightView. We’re a team of talented professionals, driven by results and relationships, and committed to taking care of each other, clients, and communities.
BrightView was recently formed through the combination of landscape industry pioneers and leaders, Brickman and ValleyCrest. This defining event united more than 140 years of experience, an extraordinary portfolio of high-profile projects and clients, and a vast, national network of expertise and innovation. As one and true to our name, we’re reinventing the industry while affording our 22,000+ team members access to the most comprehensive training, resources, benefits, mentorship, and opportunities for career advancement.
This position is responsible to provide day to day EHS support to branch leadership and operating teams within designated Region. Support includes coaching, teaching and training field personnel on safe operating behaviors and the design, development and implementation of safety and risk control programs. Functions as a subject matter expert and consultant to help internal clients build sustainable loss improvement processes within their operating organizations that they will own and operate.
*This position will be based inSterling, VAand will require routine travel to visit our multiple branch locations throughout theMid-Atlanticareato include:Maryland, DC, Virginia, and North Carolina. (70-80% travel)
- Provide daily and continuous safety support to the Maintenance, Tree Care Services and Golf Course lines of business.
- Conduct compliance reviews, general risk assessments and other safety assessments to support BrightView Health, Safety and Environmental Management.
- Provide daily guidance and direction in EHS programs to the Branch Safety Leaders at the field level, branch leadership level, and regional leadership to ensure a common and effective approach.
- Maintain, audit, and update as needed BrightView SOP’s for all safe work practices and equipment and utilize them in the day to day training.
- Coach, train, guide, and mentor the Branch Safety Leaders through the BrightView Safety Management System.
- Review accidents/incidents which occur in the area of responsibility and conduct field audits, reporting and managing the corrective actions.
- Participate in and support detailed incident investigations and Root Cause Analysis.
- Assist in the development and presentation of relevant EHS training.
- Ability to work with employees and leadership to achieve cultural change in the face of potential resistance.
- Travel to branch locations and jobsites as required and perform any additional duties as needed.
Field Specific Responsibilities
- Visit and walk the jobsites on a regular basis to establish EHS presence and provide support.
- Conduct daily, weekly, and monthly EHS Meetings/Trainings and schedule as needed.
- Perform field safety observations during each visit.
- Ability to evaluate PPE and ensure proper use and maintenance of PPE.
- Conduct Critical Behavior Based safety observations programs.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by Corporate Director of Environmental, Health, and Safety
- Oversight and Implementation of Day-to-Day Field Operations
- Work with the Branch Leadership and Field Teams to ensure work practices are understood and followed.
- Coordinate Region, Market and Branch level safety activities.
- Conduct EHS audits and assessments of on-going operations to measure compliance with regulatory requirements and conformance to BrightView company policies and procedures.
- Plans, administers, and manages BrightView safety policies, programs, procedures, and systems for assigned region.
- Serves as the single point of contact for Region, Market, and Branch Leadership in area of responsibility.
- Ensures EHS policies, procedures, programs, and systems are trained and available to our employees.
Key Performance Metrics
This position will be responsible to influence the following performance metrics:
- OSHA Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR)
- OSHA Days Away Restricted and Transfer Cases (DART)
- One Page Root Cause Analysis Summary Page
- Individual Development Plan and Status
- Branch Visit Summary Completion
- Weekly Visit Summary Completion
- Notification of Injury
- Driver Qualification Files and Compliance
- Responsible Vehicle Accident Rate
- Experience Modification Rate (EMR)
Skills and Attributes
Understands how business works; understands current trends and is able to look ahead to the future; understands information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
Is bright and intelligent; deals with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile
Building Effective Teams
Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging
Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful or acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans
Is dedicated to exceeding the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
Functional / Technical Skills
Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment
Ethics and Values
Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches
Is able to clearly and succinctly get their message across verbally and in writing in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect
Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration
Developing Direct Reports
Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each direct reports career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes direct reports to accept developmental moves; will take direct reports who need work; is a people builder
Education and Experience
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in related field: Safety, Engineering, Behavior Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Landscaping, Horticulture or equivalent required.
Minimum 5 – 8 years of Health, Safety & Environmental or relevant landscape maintenance/horticulture experience.
Fluentin Spanish- highly preferred
- Competitive salary
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
BrightView Landscapes, LLC is an Equal Opportunity and E-Verify Employer.