This position is responsible for the strategic development and overall leadership of a Regional Construction Design-Build Global Practice. This includes responsibility for all the Construction Design-Build market segments, growing the practice in a dynamic and profitable manner based on Burns & McDonnell’s core values of client satisfaction, commitment, dedication, integrity, safety, and overall outstanding service.
Specific areas of responsibility include the following:
- Represent and lead the Dallas and Fort Worth Construction Design-Build Practice.
- Identify key target clients for BMcD clients in North Texas and organize a focused sales approach strategy.
- Working with key Global Practices (Aviation, Environmental, Global Facilities, Transmission & Distribution, Transportation, & Water) and Regional Office leadership, be responsible for the following activities:
- Recruit, hire, and develop key project leaders with preconstruction, construction execution and construction management capabilities.
- Leadership of the overall team – define an organization and work with office leadership to build a multidisciplinary team to deliver preconstruction, EPC and PM/CM services to target clients.
- Assist in development and administration of marketing and client maintenance monthly and annual budgets.
- Develop and implement project execution quality and financial controls.
- Conduct regular project management training and champion overall employee development.
- Develop a long-term strategic plan for growth, diversification, and financial sustainability of the CDB business.
- Identify, develop, and direct the implementation of business strategies for the practice, including operational strategies and procedures, preconstruction/marketing strategies and pricing strategies, and sales and customer retention strategies.
- Must be able to maximize profitability and achieve the stated targets and standards for financial performance.
- Execute projects that meet or exceed client expectations for quality, schedule, and budget.
- Plan, coordinate, communicate, and facilitate activities of several disciplines and/or locations on projects of all sizes from conception through completion. Successful completion of projects by collaborating and coordinating with internal and external clients.
- Initiate or assist in proposal development, preconstruction activities, and contract negotiations; responsible for coordinating project planning including scoping, budgeting, maintaining schedules, communicating, and managing deadlines and establishing and performing to critical project objectives.
- Ensure that quality and safety standards are adhered to.
- Seek opportunities to involve Burns & McDonnell’s construction subsidiaries - AZCO and Ref-Chem in project execution strategies.
- Assemble a team that will support of the growth and development of the practice by:
- Creating and cultivating key relationships within target client organizations and within the local subcontractor market.
- Develop a client service plan which includes a vertical relationship plan for the target client organizations.
- Identify project opportunities early and facilitate go/no-go decisions in cooperation with office leadership and CDB practice leadership.
- Facilitate strategy development to pre-sell projects before RFP release.
- Lead or facilitate proposal development and preconstruction activities for project pursuits.
- Lead contract negotiations process and project execution strategy development for projects after selection.
- Develop relationships with key industry partners and subconsultants.
- This position is responsible for the growth, sales, revenue, and net income goals for the CDB Global Practice.
Measures of Performance: (These performance measures will be quantified in cooperation with the Global Practice Leadership and Regional Office Leadership.)
- Growth of the DFW CDB Practice based on sales, revenue, net income (profitability) and staff size.
- Ability to maximize profitability on projects.
- Ability to attract, hire, develop, and retain the best people within the organization.
- Ability to execute projects meeting or exceeding client expectations for quality, schedule, and budget.
- Ability to execute projects in a manner to meet and exceed internal expectations for quality, schedule, labor/cost budgets, project profitability, safety and client satisfaction.
Bachelor's degree in engineering, construction management, or related field from an accredited curriculum. Minimum 15 years of experience in construction management. Experience must include at least 5 years successful management of EPC projects, which would include proposal development, contract negotiations, preconstruction, project planning, design team coordination & communication, budgeting, schedule management, and client coordination. Must have ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of government, industry, and public contracts on project-related matters. Excellent written & verbal communication skills and ability to process and manage project budgets and financial data. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.