Job Profile Summary
Identifies, engages, cultivates, solicits, and stewards current and prospective donors in expanding their financial support of the work of the American Red Cross. Responsible for meeting an annual revenue target between $500k to $1M by working with an assigned portfolio of about 200+ donors and prospects to advance the mission of the organization and assist donors in creating meaning in their lives through giving to the American Red Cross. In conjunction with the Director of Development – Silicon Valley and Chief Development Officer, may lead team in planning and implementing fundraising strategies. As required, serve as operational resource to less experienced team members to ensure consistent and effective implementation of donor development plans.
1. Strategy: Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying donors to ensure retention, growth of donor contributions as well as recapture from previous donors. Works collaboratively with other departments and partners with development staff at the National Office to create customized solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
2. Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Manages an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects with intent to form deep relationships. Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goal tied to individual donor portfolio as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue. Develop donor management plans for entire portfolio resulting in strategic, knowledgeable and complex asks. Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio through face to face visits, including preparation of personalized materials. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters. Serve as mentor/informal leader to less experienced team members and operational resource for Regional Philanthropy.
3. Prospect Development: Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $5,000 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross. Works with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Identifies potential planned giving prospects among assigned donors and partners with Region's assigned Gift Planning Officer to solicit those prospects. Updates donor records in region and/or district database and Salesforce.com following donor contacts. May lead team(s) in planning and executing against prospecting development programs.
4. Relationship Development: Develops ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefits of the American Red Cross. Accountable for cultivating relationships for individual fundraising by cultivating relationships with individual donors personally and by supporting volunteer leaders in peer-to-peer outreach, (if appropriate) using giving societies such as the Tiffany Circle Society of Women Leaders as a key program.
5. Other: Participates in disaster relief fundraising projects as appropriate.
6. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintain a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
7. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the mission of the American Red Cross.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree highly desirable.
Experience: Minimum seven years sales and/or fundraising experience required. Proven experience in developing strategies for donor retention growth and recapture and proven success with complex requests is required.
Management Experience: None required.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent verbal and written skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser's Edge, Salesforce.com). A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
Travel: Requires frequent travel within the Region. The amount will vary depending upon size and geography of region. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions. A current valid driver's license and good driving record is required.
To be determined.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.