Supporting Community Healthcare is a rewarding role, come join a wonderful organization! LifeLong Medical Care is looking for a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) to join one of our dental sites in Berkeley. The RDH will provide prophylaxis treatment to patients who utilize LifeLong Medical Care’s dental services. The RDH will work within Lifelong Medical Care’s culturally diverse dental departments to address the oral health care needs of patients within the community.
This is a benefit eligible, grant funded, part time, 20 hours/week position.
LifeLong Medical Care is a large, multi-site, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) with a rich history of providing innovative healthcare and social services to a wonderfully diverse patient community. Our patient-centered health home is a dynamic place to work, practice, and grow. We have 16 primary care health centers and deliver integrated services including psychosocial, referrals, chronic disease management, dental, health education, home visits, and much, much more. LifeLong Medical Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We offer excellent benefits including: medical, dental, vision (including dependent and domestic partner coverage), generous leave benefits including nine paid holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) retirement savings plan.
- Updates medical history of patient, highlighting significant information for dentist's review.
- Takes accurate x-rays to determine extent of any decay and disease.
- Performs periodontal examination/ charting on patients.
- Administers prophylactic treatment by the scaling and polishing of teeth.
- Documents area of existing restorations and notable areas of possible decay and disease for dentist's review. When appropriate, may call in dentist for immediate consultation.
- Administers Local anesthesia when needed during the course of the treatment of patients.
- Instructs patients in oral hygiene technique, answering patient questions and providing other Educational information relevant to oral hygiene.
- Practices universal precautions and other sterilization and infection control procedures, and maintains equipment.
- Provides associated administrative support, including maintaining patient documentation, patient communication and other record-keeping.
- Performs caries risk assessment and patient education for adult and pediatric patients.
- Conducts examinations, take radiographs, performs periodontal examinations and accurately charts conditions of patients in the primary care setting via the TeleDenistry project.
- Serve as a member of the cross-functional team of providers, engaged in routine and preventive dental care.
- Maintain dental equipment and sharpen and sterilize dental instruments.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dental Director and/or Operations Manager.
- Ability to work well independently, and within a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to administer local anesthetic.
- Outstanding patient management skills.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Ability to work well under pressure, meet multiple and sometimes competing deadlines and at all times demonstrate cooperative behavior with supervisors, subordinates, colleagues, and clients.
Education & Experience
- RDH Licensure to practice in the State of California
- Associates degree from an accredited Hygiene program
- Current CPR certification
- Dental FQHC experience preferred
- 1-2 years of clinical experience
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus