egistered Dental Hygienist
Clean teeth and examine oral areas, head, and neck for signs of oral disease. Educate patients on oral hygiene, take diagnostic radiograph images, and apply fluoride or sealants and any other preventive measures which are patient appropriate and in accordance with the functions of a hygienist as stated in the Minnesota Rules.
- Clean calculus deposits and stains from teeth and beneath margins of gums, using dental instruments.
- Take diagnostic radiograph images as requested by the doctor. Should be able to see distal of the cuspid on pre-molar bitewing and distal of last erupted tooth on molar BW x-ray with no overlap. Peri-apical and FMX should be diagnostic (e.g. no cone cuts, apex clearly visible).
- Educate patients on oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health (e.g. tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling).
- Maintain correct and accurate record keeping and documentation.
- Inquire about patient’s medical history and recording blood pressure and pulse.
- Monitor patients at all times while in the dental chair. This is an absolute must for children 12 years old (and under), or when nitrous oxide is administered.
- Provide all necessary documentation (x-rays, probe readings, medical history, patient concerns) for doctor to diagnose and follow through on recommended treatment plan.
- Follow infection control protocol and cleaning and sterilizing instruments and equipment accordingly.
- Provide a smooth transition to doctor regarding patient information.
- Being proactive in your schedule to keep schedule productive.
- Reinforce to patients the quality of care delivered in the practice.
- Help increase patient treatment plan acceptance by providing comprehensive patient education and informing the patient of all financial options.
- Patient charting using Dentrix Software.
- Document patient’s treatment plan, clinical findings, pre-existing and medical history.
- Scheduling patient’s re-appointments
- Verifying patients insurance and work with the patients to best treat them within their plan.
- Manage recall system
- Make sure patients understand their treatment plans as diagnosed by the doctor and their insurance coverage or financial expectations related to their treatment plan.
- Make sure patients check out privately and follow through on any necessary information the check-out person may need such as prescriptions, payment plans, etc.
Daily Housekeeping Duties:
- Restocking rooms and mobiles. Clean mobile.
- Cleaning and oiling hand pieces.
- Sharpen instruments appropriately to obtain optimal function and longevity of the instruments.
- Changing traps
- Disposing of trash properly and changing trash receptacles.
- Maintaining a clean and sterile operatory, sweeping when necessary.
All hygienists are required to wear scrubs and a lab coat. Lab coats will be provided by Northland Smiles. Sturdy shoes, no open toe, face masks, glasses and gloves. A name tag is required of all staff directly involved with patient care.
Employment Type: Full Time