SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Registered Dental Hygienist performs professional dental hygiene procedures, organizes and participates in a variety of dental health education activities and performs related duties.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs general professional dental hygiene procedures including but not limited to root planing, dental prophylaxis, polishing restoration, applying sealant and topical fluoride, preliminary examination, dental radiographs, etc. according to the Dental Practice Act.
- Provides chair-side dental health education and training in proper home care procedures for patients.
- Assists when appropriate in the training of para-professional and non-medical personnel.
- Provides guidance to other health team members in the development of health education materials and programs for NEMS members and the community at large.
- Participates in the team approach to the provision of comprehensive health care to families and individuals enrolled with NEMS.
- Works cooperatively with other professionals and non-medical personnel in referring patients to appropriate services.
- Enhance the efficiency of the clinic by performing expanded duties as allowable by law and as directed by the dentist.
- Ensure accuracy, efficiency, and appropriate confidentiality with patient charting and related recordkeeping and administrative functions as assigned.
- Ensure that proper arrangement is made for the patient’s follow-up care.
- Follows NEMS Infection Control protocol, Medical Waste Disposal protocol and Hazard Communication protocol.
- Adhere to all Federal & Government regulations including the Dental Hygiene Committee of California rules and regulations, HIPPA & OSHA regulations.
- Provide dental health education, including oral hygiene instruction and dietary advice, to patients and to target groups of out-reach program.
- Participates in a variety of community dental health education programs, especially in the annual school brush-in program.
Performs other job duties as required by manager/supervisor.
- Successful completion of an accredited school of dental hygiene recognized the California State Board of Dental Examiners.
- Current License to practice dental hygiene in the State of California.
- Current documentation of Basic Life Support is required.
- Must be able to fluently speak, read and write English.
- Fluent Chinese speaker (Cantonese and/ or Mandarin) required
- Fluent in other languages are an asset.
- This is an FLSA non-exempt position
- This is an OSHA high-risk position.