This is a part-time, 24 hours/week position.
Provide individualized diabetes self-management education and training to individuals and groups according to the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Standards of Professional Performance for Diabetic Educators. Provide initial and comprehensive skills training and education to patients and family members with diabetes and other medical nutrition diagnoses regarding planning, coordinating, implementing and evaluating self-management care.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in conjunction with diabetes program coordinator to perform DSME program education.
- Interact and confer with medical providers, diabetes team members and other healthcare professionals in evaluating, developing and supporting self- management care and behavior change.
- Assist program coordinator with collection of program participant assessment data, using American Diabetic Association (ADA) and National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education guidelines in a collaborative and ongoing manner.
- Develop educational goals, learning objectives, and a plan for educational content and teaching methods for dietary and nutrition patients.
- Provide educational interventions that utilize primarily interactive, collaborative, skill-based training methods and maximizes the use of interactive training methods.
- Perform individualized follow-up with each program participant.
- Evaluate effectiveness of educational services provided by measuring attainment of learning objectives.
- Conduct a follow-up assessment upon completion of program services, using ADA guidelines.
- Document assessment data, educational plan, educational services provided and evaluation results in each participant’s educational records.
- Utilize a team approach to provide services and collaborate and communicate with team members when needed.
- Identify when a program participant’s needs are outside the scope of the educator’s practice and expertise, and arrange for additional services to meet needs.
- Participate in the development of training materials.
- Contribute to, and participate in, a continuous quality improvement process to measure DSME program and to identify and address opportunities for improvement.
- Promoting optimal nutrition, health and well-being among the public.
- Responsible for integrating nutrition plans into the patient or client treatment plan.
- Provide a nutrition assessment, determine the nutrition diagnosis, determine and
- Implement a nutrition intervention, and in subsequent visits, monitor and evaluate.
- Provide nutrition education for disease prevention and nutrition counseling (MNT) for chronic conditions.
- Provide quality care based on evidence-based nutrition practice guidelines.
- Create a menu based on what the doctor prescribes. The dietician must be able to prepare and calculate a menu based on the patients’ nutrient needs with various chronic illnesses.
- Plan and deliver nutritional care of patients in accordance with physicians' orders and requirements of regulatory agencies.
- Function as a member of the multidisciplinary health care team to assess, plan and administer nutrition care to patients with nutritional risks.
EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- Registered Dietitian (RD) REQUIRED & Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) PREFERRED.
- WA State DOH Dietitian Certification required.
- Current American Heart Association Health Care Provider BLS CPR certification.
- In-depth knowledge about current diabetes treatment management.
- Knowledge of nutritional requirement of individuals with various chronic illnesses and special nutritional needs REQUIRED.
- Able to lead and effectively manage groups.
- Ability to develop a collaborative, therapeutic alliance with individuals.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work required in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive description of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of those assigned to this job.
We offer a competitive Total Rewards Program which includes insurance programs covering medical, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, generous time off, holidays, education reimbursement, and a 401(k) plan. Eligibility for benefits is dependent on factors such as position type and FTE. Contact your recruiter for more information.
Vancouver Clinic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Vancouver Clinic does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.