STG International is accepting resumes ofqualified candidates for the Nurse Manager/Contract Coordinatorposition to work full-time providing medical care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.STG Internationalis in anactive bidding process for this positionwhich is contingent upon STG International, Inc. being awarded the contract.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United
States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations
(ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States
Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services.
IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSC’s mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of
ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The Agency is committed to providing healthcare services to protect the nation’s health, reduce global disease and provide medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe apprehension, enforcement and removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous surveillance and monitoring activities.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and or granted privileges.
- Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
- May be expected to respond to and or coordinate response to medical emergencies.
- Assesses and identifies high risk symptoms/behaviors in patients to include suicidal risk, homicidal risk, and verbally/physical difficult detainees.
- Assesses patient learning needs, and develops a plan of care based on identified needs.
- Observes, interprets and documents all pertinent patient behaviors.
- Demonstrates an understanding of psychiatric conditions as defined in the DSM-V in planning nursing care for patients. Must appropriately document patient/resident encounters electronically according to current standards of care using electronic health records.
- Performs individual and group patient education/instruction to facilitate meeting the health needs of patients and preventing disability or disease.
- Maintains a therapeutic relationship with patients and differentiates therapeutic action from social interactions.
- Provides supervision of Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurses, as assigned.
- Evaluates health care needs of residents and develops nursing care plans to meet those needs.
- Provides assessment and treatment of residents during sick call utilizing the IHSC RN
- Guidelines and refers to mid-level provider and/or physician as appropriate.
- Provides screening of residents during intake per IHSC established policies and procedures.
- Obtains residents’ medical histories and appropriately refers abnormal findings or responses or stated medical problems to the physician and/ or mid-level provider.
- Draws labs as requested and collects laboratory specimens.
- Destroys and properly disposes of all sharps to include but not limited to needles and syringes according to hazardous waste, infection control and safety guidance.
- Assists in the disposal of biologically hazardous wastes on a regular basis as needed.
- Administers medications, immunizations, education or other needed treatments as ordered/recommended.
- Adheres to professional nursing principals, procedures and techniques for appropriate patient care and take direction from onsite administrative personnel.
- Adheres to medication administration guidelines, understand pharmaceutical agents and their desired effects recognize adverse effects and take appropriate corrective measures as needed.
- Maintains safety when dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazards of drug hoarding and trafficking among residents.
- Provide patient/resident health education as appropriate.
- Coordinates health care needs of residents with multidisciplinary team members and coordinates referrals to off-site providers as required.
- Participates as member of multidisciplinary team to ensure that equipment, supplies and logs are available, correct and updated. Ensures all equipment is functional and appropriately maintained according to manufacturer’s requirements.
- Provides radiological services in accordance with scope of practice for practice state and
- IHSC Policies and Procedures. These services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
- May serve as clinic coordinator to ensure effective and efficient clinical operations.
- May participate in peer reviews, Quality Improvement/Quality Assurance activities, Infection
- Control activities, investigations or other clinically significant activities onsite.
- Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
- Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records as required by, and appropriate to, position.
- Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
- Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
- Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
- Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational
- Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
- Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC’s Safety, Prevention, Infection and Control, Quality
- Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
- Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education
- Graduate from a associate's or baccalaureate nursing program for Registered Nurses located in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory accredited by The Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Minimum one year psychiatric nursing experience as a licensed registered nurse, in a hospital, medical office or residential setting.
REQURED LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
- Current, full and unrestricted licensed as Registered Nurse in the state in which the duty station is located. Any changes to license must be reported to employer immediately.
- Board Certification in Psychiatric Nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
- Any candidate who is not board certified at the time of hiring must be presented to the IHSC
- Medical Director for concurrence.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
DUTY HOURS / ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
- This full time position requires availability to work day, evening and night shifts; availability during weekends and holidays is also required.
- On-call availability is not required for this position.
- The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
- A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
- Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes and maintain balance.
- Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes, where a fast walk or jog may be necessary to provide assistance.
- Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency (may require lifting, dragging, wheeling or carrying someone who weighs significantly more than self).
- Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of aides if necessary (exceptions on a case by case basis).
- Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
- Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
- Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere environment without physical limitations.
- Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors) for long periods of time.
This is a contract position and supervisory controls will be set forth by the Contractor. Technical oversight will be provided by the Government Technical Monitor (GTM).
STG International, Inc (STGi) is a workforce solutions company providing comprehensive healthcare delivery, Head Start and management consulting services and human capital solutions help our clients. Our services and solutions help our clients sustain and enhance their operations to better accomplish their mission.
STGi offers acompetitive benefits package which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with company match and a generous PTO policy.
STG International, Inc. is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.