Various (days, evenings, nights)
Under the supervision of the Charge Nurse, the Registered Nurse-Medical shall provide the Department of Corrections, Central Detention Facility, Health Services Division, comprehensive medical care as delineated by UHC. Under the general direction of the Charge Nurse, the Registered Nurse is capable of providing assessment. Planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care. The Staff Nurse supervises the Medical Assistant staff when indicated. He/She must be skilled in completing nursing assessment, performing routine nursing procedures such as venipunture, IV insertion, and triage of patients.
· Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates the care of the patient. Works with the health center provider in developing and implementing a treatment plan for the patient.
· Works with the medical assistant staff to assure that the health center maintains a positive patient flow of fewer than 1.5 hours.
· Assures that nursing documentation (not limited to flow sheets, intake sheets, VAR) is completed per policy and standards. Reviews the documentation of the Medical Assistant on a routine basis to assure the documentation is appropriate and timely.
· Develops and implements an orientation plan for new patients and employees to the unit.
· Performs primary nursing procedures (i.e. veinpuncture, UA, finger sticks, assessments, patient intake, daily review/update of medical records and logs).
· Ensures that medical care and follow-up are planned and documented, and that all requests for referral services (i.e. medical, social services, specialty) are completed for each patient.
· Coordinates the quality control checks for the glucometers and any other waive testing.
· Works with the nurse manger and MA 3 to assure compliance with infection control.
· Works with the Department of Education to develop processes for patient education.
· Provides discharge instruction to patients.
· Works with various departments to assure compliance with federal, state, and local health care regulations.
· Completes charts audits under the direction of the AMD or HCM.
· Monitors the use of and orders supplies under the direction of the Nurse Manager.
· Assures that the exam rooms are standardized and ready for use.
· Assists the providers as necessary during physical examination.
· Performs other related duties and responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to articulate Unity's mission through his/her work.
· Graduate of an accredited school of nursing (PN, AAS, BSN).
· At least 1 year of recent acute care experience in medical surgical, emergency care, or urgent care.
· Current CPR certification.
· Registered Nurse in DC.