Location: Best Friends Lifesaving Center - 15321 Brand Boulevard, Mission Hills, CA 91345
Position Summary: TheRegistered Veterinary Technician (RVT) is part of a veterinary team providing high-volume spay/neuter surgeries as well as medical care to the shelter animals in the Adoption Center.
Responsibilities & Essential Duties:
- RVT for surgical induction.
- Monitor patients during surgery and post surgery.
- Communicating with public (Discharge instructions, etc.).
- Daily cleaning of work areas including but limited to, cleaning cages, mopping floors, etc.
- Preparing and filling prescriptions for center animals under the direction of Veterinarians.
- Perform medical care including but not limited to wrapping wounds, blood draws, medicating, nail trimming, IV catheter placement, SQ and IV fluids, fecal tests, microscopic exams, grooming needs, etc. under the direction Veterinarians.
- Administering prescribed medications, both oral and injectable.
- Assisting the Veterinarian in animal handling and general treatment.
- Preparing surgery packs and cleaning surgical equipment.
- Performing anesthetic machine daily and weekly maintenance.
- Stocking supplies and alerting the Clinic Manager on inventory needs.
- Other duties as assigned by Clinic Manager.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Applicants must have a valid California State RVT License and should have a minimum of 1 year work experience in sheltering or veterinary hospitals.
- Strong interpersonal skills. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Work requires continual attention to detail.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Animal handling experience and proficiency required.
- Administrative experience required.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Pet Point, Shelterluv, and ADP.
- Must be willing to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time to include repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Perform strenuous physical labor including bending, stooping, reaching, lifting, etc.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, nights, holidays and on-call work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.