Proudly serving the residents of Pittsburgh’s western suburbs for more than 100 years.
Today, it is Ohio Valley Hospital’s mission to provide programs and services that improve the quality of life of community members across our service area. Our staff and administration strive to provide caring, cost-effective, and friendly health care. We view safety and quality as top priorities — while also encouraging innovative and creative approaches to improving patient outcomes.
Great career opportunities are waiting for you at Ohio Valley Hospital.
Our mission of quality, personalized health care for every patient is not the only outstanding benefit we bring to our community. There are lots of great jobs here too. Challenging, important work. Rewarding careers for those willing to dedicate themselves to providing health care and other crucial assistance to our patients.
The Registration Clerk is responsible for timely and accurate registration. The Registration Clerk interviews patients for financial and demographic information that will ensure financial viability of the hospital.
Essential Job Functions
- Interviews patient and/or legal representative to obtain all necessary account demographics and financial information for efficient billing purposes. Verifies demographic and insurance profiles of established patient. Ensures registration is accurate and complete.
- Exhibits a positive and cooperative outlook toward position, Hospital, fellow employees, and public.
- Maintains strict confidentiality for all aspects of the job.
- Complies with Hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Obtains physician orders and attaches them to the patient medical record to ensure that the patient is receiving the appropriate test(s). Complies with the billing compliance and orders for outpatient tests and services policy and procedure.
- Verifies insurance and obtains precertification / authorizations where applicable. Verify insurance benefits via Emdeon Eligibility software. Ensures that all information and authorization numbers are entered correctly into the appropriate registration screen.
- Obtain proper authorization for treatment and approval codes from the insurance carrier for patients presenting for treatment.
- Collect co-pays, deposits, and deductibles or offer Ohio Valley Cares Program information and document collection status in the system. Prepare Cash Option function in Meditech. Maintain integrity of the cash drawer. Maintain log for the Patient Financial Services Director to report point of service collection dollars. Complies with the point of service collection policy and procedures.
- Secures all signatures necessary for treatments, release of medical information, assignment of insurance benefits, and payment of services from legally responsible parties. Obtain copies of necessary identification and insurance cards.
- Facilitates the Hospital communication systems by directing and transferring all calls to the appropriate party.
Additional Job Responsibilities
- Consistently provides excellent guest relations and welcomes patient and family members in a professional manner. Maintains a professional image and implement excellent customer service with all customers 100% of the time.
- Notifies patients of their patient rights and documents in Meditech - Admissions process.
- Issue waivers or ABN’s for signatures when appropriate. Direct patients to the Financial Counselors when necessary.
- Notify patients or their legal representatives of delinquent accounts to attempt to obtain payment. Refer delinquent accounts to the Financial Counselor for further action.
- Assigns insurance plans accurately. Researches the patient visit history to comply with the Medicare 72 hour rule and the Highmark 48 hour rule.
- Access and search Master Patient Index (MPI) completely and accurately. Ensures the assignment of the correct unit number. Notifies Medical Records department immediately for any duplicate unit number assignment.
- Capable of explaining policies regarding services, HIPAA’s Notice of Privacy, confidentiality, charges, insurance billing, and payment of account to patients and or their legal representative.
- Prepares necessary paperwork for each patient to be distributed to the applicable department as needed. Align/assemble pertinent documents for establishing the patient's medical record.
- Assemble charts for distribution to physician’s billing services, medical records, and ancillary departments providing information when necessary or forwarding documents.
- Prepares patient chart, admission record, and identification band as needed.
- Direct or escort the patient and/or their legal representative to the applicable ancillary department.
- Responds and actively participates in the Hospital-wide disaster plans.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Certification, Licensure
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Possess and/or achieve technical certification through national Patient Access Associates preferred.