The Research Assistant will be involved in a NIH-funded study to investigate the role of cardiac autoimmunity in cardiovascular disease complications in patients with type 1 diabetes (Sousa et al., Circulation 2019; Sousa et al., Circulation 2020).
Projects will include translational studies in both humanized mouse models and in patients. Specifically, this individual will be responsible for assisting with the large-scale processing of human biosamples, sample validation and organizing, database entry and assisting in performing high-throughput cardiac autoantibody assays and analyses. S/he will also assist in the maintenance of a small transgenic mouse colony, including basic husbandry, genotyping, and performing “proof of concept” immunological studies in mouse models.
Must be self-motivated, have an ability to learn new techniques, and have an excellent track record in college.
- Assist with the specimens received from biorepository against shipping manifest
- Control quality of contents and condition of received samples
- Place specimens in appropriate storage conditions and log all specimens into appropriate secure database
- Perform standardized and more complex assays following established laboratory procedures; may be responsible for the development, modification, or improvement of standard operating procedures
- Recognize equipment and testing problems, troubleshoot and document independently and/or with assistance of other lab members to ensure the resolution is documented, implemented and communicated in a timely manner
- Maintain detailed electronic notebooks of all work-related activities
- Keep up with appropriate literature and research publications
- Assist with animal husbandry (breeding and weaning of mice). Screen offspring of transgenic mouse strains by preparing genomic DNA and perform PCR. Maintain accurate, detailed, and up-to-date electronic records of the mouse colony and manage replacement of breeding animals to ensure propagation of the lines, under supervision of the senior postdoc
- Assist in performing immunoassays on mice
- Maintain laboratory equipment and inventory. Assist in the placement of orders for reagents and supplies as needed; log delivery of supplies, and store supplies upon delivery
- Assist with the maintenance of freezer databases
- Ensure safe laboratory practices and compliance with institutional research guidelines
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Biomedical or related fields
- 1 year of hands-on laboratory experience (undergrad internships or experience) - observational laboratory work undertaken as part of undergraduate program is insufficient
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Intermediate analytical, critical thinking, and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills: to interact with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts
- Must be detail oriented, with the ability to prioritize responsibilities – through completion Ability to work independently and with others in the lab
- Hands-on experience with animal husbandry and molecular biology techniques
Joslin is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Joslin values diversity and inclusion, and we encourage diversity applicants.
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is the policy of Joslin to prohibit discrimination of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, marital/parental status, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Employee Events
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Vacation/paid time off
- Subsidized Commuting
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Gym Memberships
- Employee Referral Program
- Military Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Paid sick days
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Professional Development
- Tuition Reimbursement