Job Description Summary:
The Research Associate II, Biology is responsible for conducting scientific experiments that contribute to research and drug discovery activities at PTC. This position assists in the conduct of early stage research, the goal of which is the identification of New Chemical Entities (NCEs), as well as the advancement of research programs from the identification of screening hits to advanced lead optimization. The incumbent is also responsible for communicating experimental results to his/her supervisor and the project team.
The Research Associate II, Biology supports adherence to all regulatory requirements and company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) including as appropriate.
- Under general guidance, executes experiments and communicates results as part of multi-disciplinary team(s).
- Applies relevant scientific principles and techniques to research problems.
- Maintains detailed laboratory notebooks.
- Maintains knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and techniques.
- Ability to trouble shoot experiments -designing controls, generating interpretable data
- Presents findings internally and contributes to the publication of the work of the project team
- May contribute to the development of patent applications as appropriate.
- Complies with all safety requirements.
- Contributes to laboratory needs, such as stock room maintenance and ordering supplies
- Involved in general lab duties as assigned
Specific duties may also include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Prepare and maintain primary and established cell culture systems.
- Experience with sterile cell culture technique is preferred.
- Provides support for high throughput screening including the design of primary assays, the goal of which is the identification of additional hits and new chemical scaffolds.
- Provides support for lead optimization by screening compounds and/or supporting structure activity relationship (SAR) studies involving the characterization of the biological activity of compounds in various assays. Profiles selected compounds in additional cells/assays.
- Assists in the development of biologically relevant alternatives to preclinical animal models.
- Conducts mechanism of drug activity studies using various techniques.
- Tissue culture experience
- Cell biology and Molecular biology
- Experience in RNA purification, qPCR, and analysis
* Minimum level of education and years of relevant work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Biology scientific discipline with 3-5 years’ relevant experience.
* Special knowledge or skills needed and/or licenses or certificates required.
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, and the ability to collaborate with others on cross functional teams in a fast-paced, matrixed, environment consisting of internal and external team members.
- Possesses knowledge of scientific principles and concepts and keeps current with relevant scientific literature.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office- preferably MS Excel and MS PowerPoint.
- Effective verbal and written communication and skills.
- Analytical thinker with problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Effective planning, organization and time management skills including the ability to support and prioritize multiple projects.
*Special knowledge or skills and/or licenses or certificates preferred.
- Immunoassay experience, including experience with immunocytochemistry – moderate to high-throughput assays for protein detection using different platforms (fluorescence microscopy and high-content imaging).
- Knowledge of and ability to use standard molecular and cell biology techniques.
- Experience with mRNA expression profiling.
* Travel requirements
*Physical requirements (only note if the job requires physical capacity beyond general office work)
Office/Laboratory based position
PTC Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, veteran status or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.